ᴛᴇɴ

WHEN MAELYN AND PETER TURNED around the corner leading up to the apartment building, their bright smiles dropped

WHEN MAELYN AND PETER TURNED around the corner leading up to the apartment building, their bright smiles dropped. Their laughter at one another's silly acts stopped. The shining glint in their eyes showcasing their happiness diminished. It all disappeared.

Red and blue flashing lights filled the street as numerous police cars and ambulances sped past them, driving towards the rubble beneath the tall skyscraper. The building was barely standing as the concrete at the bottom continued to pile up, the fires inside the shattered windows only growing and eating up more of the indoor furniture. Hundreds of reporters crowded around the dramatic scene, watching and waiting for something title-worthy to happen in front of their expensive cameras and handheld microphones. Maelyn could only guess who one of them was, and she wasn't happy about it.

"What the hell." She muttered under her breath as she looked the destroyed building up and down. Her and Peter slowly walked up to the commotion happening in front of the building they'd been in just hours beforehand with their shopping bags still dangling from their palms. The boy trailed by her side worriedly as he took in the situation, furrowing his brows as multiple theories began to cloud his mind.

Without Maelyn noticing, he managed to quickly branch off. He scurried behind one of the abandoned police cars and dropped the food-filled bags, shrugging off all of his clothes but his jacket. He didn't want to be fully revealed in case it was all just one big misunderstanding. He wasn't going to risk his identity being revealed for nothing.

After picking back up the groceries, Peter rushed back to the Parker girl's side, walking even closer to the crime scene with fidgety palms. His senses were on high alert in the midst of the collapsed site because of how many people were hanging around the area. The police weren't trying very hard to keep people out and away, which was how the pair managed to slip past one of the barricades and rush towards the entrance.

As soon as they were in the clear, Maelyn spotted someone familiar. Someone so familiar that she rushed over to his side without a care in the world. She didn't worry about the officers and paramedics running past her as she made advances towards the struggling man, or about Peter's shouts of protest coming from behind her shoulder. The man getting pushed towards the backseat of a police car had done so much for her, and now it was her turn to try and do something for him.

"Happy, what's happening?" She asked as she got to his side, ignoring the two police officers shoving his shoulders forwards with every breath he took. His eyes immediately widened at the sound of her soothing voice, looking up at her with worry and sadness shining in his umber brown irises.

"You need to get out of here, Maelyn." He told her as his head shook violently. "You, take her." He demanded as he nodded his head towards Peter. The young boy instantly sat the heavy plastic bags on the ash-covered road whilst trying to pull her away from the scene. However, try as he might, she wouldn't budge. She wasn't going to budge when she saw who was being wheeled past her.