X (Finale)

Now

Stormshade felt his heart sink. Blood was wet on his fur as he watched the moon climb downward.

First thing tomorrow morning, we will march on ThunderClan. The water of the lake rippled in the wind, and he took a deep breath. I have so much to do, and so little time.

The moors were silent. Stormshade couldn't remember a time when it had been more lifeless, and yet he knew that, very soon, the whole lake would be alive with battle.

He took a step forward, towards camp. This had to end.

The moon was inching ever closer towards the horizon. Stormshade sighed, trying to ignore his wounds, and began to walk.

Hailstorm. Stormshade flinched, heart aching. He was a rogue. He crested a hill, glancing towards ThunderClan's sprawling forest. Nightbreeze was born there, he remembered. And Oceanbreeze took him as her mate. His heart sank. They're Codebreakers, all of them. As long as Goldenstar was in power, they wouldn't be safe.

Stormshade winced. Pain spread through his cheek like fire, down his neck and shoulder. He stumbled, watching droplets of blood mottle the grass. Goldenstar will kill me, and then he will kill my friends. Gritting his teeth, Stormshade turned back towards the ThunderClan forest. Firefur said Brambleblaze watches the moor. But would he really help me, after all we've fought over? Blood dripped from his cheek, dropping audibly to the moor ground. After I let him be exiled without uttering a word? Guilt tugged at his stomach. I need to try. I owe it to everyone else.

Taking a deep breath, he began his journey, bowing his head as he went. How could he face the tom he allowed into exile? When have I ever done anything for Brambleblaze? His breath slowed. A surge of exhaustion overtook his body as he looked up at the moon once more. I only have so much time. Shaking his pelt, Stormshade grit his teeth and began to run. His muscles ached and his wounds burnt, but he knew that he didn't have much longer. What if Brambleblaze isn't there? The wind rushed through his fur like freezing water, dulling his pain and drying his eyes.

Rabbit dens tripped him, and thorns pierced his pads. How do moor runners do it? He raced through the grass, skirting tussocks and leaping over lonesome bushes. The sappy scent of ThunderClan was strong on his tongue.

He skidded to a halt, tasting the air. Is he here? The wind seemed to come to a sharp halt, as if wary of ThunderClan land. Heather-scent wafted into his nostrils from by the lake.

There, within two tail-lengths of the lakeshore, Brambleblaze sat. The broad-shouldered tom had rings beneath his eyes, and his ears drooped. Stormshade cleared his throat, but Brambleblaze didn't even flinch.

"I couldn't sleep," he murmured.

Stormshade shifted on his paws, taking a step forward. "I don't sleep well either," he breathed.

"If you're here to kill me," he sighed, "I wouldn't bother. I'm within two tail-lengths of the lakeshore."

He used to be so cheery. Stormshade dipped his head. "I'm not here to kill you," he informed the exiled warrior. "I'm here because I need your help."

Brambleblaze's chest twitched. He snorted, and that snort rose into a great laugh. "You're kidding!"

"I wish I was," Stormshade mewed. He inched towards his old enemy, his old denmate. "Brambleblaze, for all you did wrong, you were always a good cat."