III

Thanks to fIorapetals for beta reading parts of this chapter!   

Now

"Isn't he cute?" Beestream leaned against Stormshade's shoulder, eyes half-closed. "He looks just like you."

Stormshade followed her gaze, squirming. Hailpaw was stumbling over his own paws, attempting to come up with his own battle move. "Is he cute because he looks like me?"

"Absolutely." Her words made Stormshade wriggle a little, and he could feel her tongue swiping around his ear.

"I'm not cute," He mewed stiffly. "I prefer 'handsome.'"

"Well, I think you're cute." She licked his ear once more, and then added wistfully, "I wish I got an apprentice."

"You'll get one someday," Stormshade reassured her. "For what it's worth? I'm glad that you're helping me train Hailpaw. I've... been distracted lately." He licked his chest.

"Let's talk about it." Beestream nudged him, grinning. Stormshade purred.

"Hailpaw!" He called. "Beestream and I need to talk. If you can follow our scent trail, we won't go on a dawn patrol tomorrow!"

Hailpaw brightened. "Really?" He chirped. "I'll catch you when you least expect it!"

"Give us a head start, at least! Come on, Beestream!" Stormshade jabbed her ribs playfully, trotting into the heather.

His mood soured as soon as they were out of Hailpaw's view.

"So..." Beestream began, padding alongside him, "What's on your mind?"

"Brackenstar was weird at the gathering last night," was all Stormshade mewed. "He was confrontational."

Beestream seemed thoughtful for a second. Her tail swung through the air, swatting lightly at a fly on Stormshade's flank. "Towards Goldenstar?"

"Yes!" Stormshade mewed. "Towards Goldenstar!" He pressed against Beestream, leading her around a bundle of tussocks. The river could be heard gurgling in the distance, and Stormshade felt a twinge of dread. I hope I don't see Oceaneyes again.

Beestream froze. "Rabbit!" She whispered.

Stormshade's eyes widened. "I can't hunt aboveground!" He hissed.

"Why not? Scared of being outdone by a she-cat?"

"I--" Stormshade blinked, ears flattening. "No..?"

Beestream looked dubious. "Really, Stormshade?"

Stormshade averted his gaze. "I'm a tunneler," he mewed shyly, "Not a moor-runner. I don't want to make a fool of myself, Beestream. Least of all in front of you."

Beestream seemed to melt before Stormshade's eyes. "Aw! Stormshade--" She gushed, "--You... you make me--"

"I know." Stormshade touched his nose to hers, looking into her eyes, and purred. "Let's get that rabbit, Beestream."

The moor runner blinked, and then nodded weakly. "Okay. Taste the air."

Stormshade's jaws parted. I smell it! "I remember this from my apprenticeship."

"It takes a lot more to chase prey than a quarter moon of running classes." Beestream giggled. "Notice anything about the wind?"

"It's flowing, um... from the river."