V

Then

"I need you to speak with me, son."

Stormkit awoke to a tom's raspy voice. The gentle howl of wind pushed up against the nursery wall, and Stormkit felt the cold seep into his pelt.

A tongue rasped against his ear. "Before the others wake up," the tom whispered.

Stormkit blinked the sleep from his eyes, soft fur bushing against the cold. "It's early.."

There was a pause. The tom took Stormkit by the scruff, gently lifting him from the den.

Stormkit squeaked, squinting against the harsh dawn sunlight.

"Rushstripe?" Stormkit could hear Goldentooth's warm voice. "Cloudstar wants a word."

"In a moment," the grey tom wheezed. "I need to speak with my son."

"Ah – take all the time. Cloudstar will understand."

Stormkit wriggled. Rushstripe's grip loosened a little bit, before he set Stormkit onto the ground.

"I, uh..." Rushstripe's voice shook. Stormkit turned to look at him. His father's chest was broad, but bony where once there was firm muscle. Permanent lines marked the spaces below his eyes. "This isn't easy for me, son. I just needed to talk to you."

Stormkit rubbed his forepaws into the dust. "Can it be fast? I'm cold."

Rushstripe's shoulders sagged. He sighed, licking Stormkit's forehead. "Sometimes a tom needs to face the cold, son."

Stormkit huffed. He could almost see a knot in Rushstripe's throat.

"You're probably wondering why we don't play anymore. I'm too sick, Stormkit." Rushstripe took a breath, met Stormkit's confused gaze. "Ryethorn says I won't be here for long."

Stormkit blinked. "Are you leaving me?" He whispered.

Rushstripe's shaky breath hitched. He buried his muzzle in Stormkit's fur. "I'm going home, Stormkit."

"Where is your home?" Stormkit felt his eyes grow wet, and a weight seemed to tug at his lower lip.

"Our home," Rushstripe replied, placing a shaky paw on Stormkit's chest, "Is here. Be a good tom, son. Do what is right, and you'll see me again. I promise."

Stormkit shuddered. He turned away from Rushstripe, sniffling. Rushstripe sniffled, too.

"I love you," he mewed. "I know you're too young to understand, but..."

Stormkit could feel his legs grow weak. He settled into the ground, staring at the moor.

"...everything that our family has, is yours now." Stormkit could hear Rushstripe shamble closer, feel his raspy breath on his ears. "Our ancestors look to you. You have the blood of Windstar in your veins."

Stormkit blinked the tears from his eyes. "What will I do without you, father?"

"Be a lion, son." Rushstripe inhaled, exhaled. For the first time in moons, Stormkit couldn't hear him wheeze. "Be a lion."

Now

"I never could live with failure." Stormshade kept his voice low. The cool air of the moor pressed against him, as if, in its own way, it was trying to comfort him. "I don't know why."