IX

Now

Stormshade's breath billowed out around him, fogging up in the nighttime air. Long moorland grass brushed against his flanks as he followed Goldenstar to the gathering isle.

Sunclaw, Galetrot, and Shaleflame were in tow. Goldenstar had wanted most of the Clan to remain at camp and preserve their energy, for reasons unknown.

Stormshade shook out his pelt, absent-mindedly sheathing and unsheathing his claws. I hate this.

"Tonight is the night, Stormshade." Goldenstar's eyes were sparkling, but not in the way Stormshade would've liked them to. "There is change in the air. Can you taste it?"

Stormshade hummed in false agreement. Goldenstar was wrong. The air was thick with unease.

The gathering isle felt worse than any other place on the lake. The whole world dimmed as the moon became covered entirely, and Goldenstar held his head high as he led his small patrol through the bushes and into the heart of the island.

Only ThunderClan and SkyClan had arrived. Sparrowstar dipped his head respectfully at the arrival of his ally, while Brackenstar gave a suspicious flick of his tail.

Stormshade slowed, allowing Goldenstar to pull ahead. He searched the throng of ThunderClan warriors for a familiar pelt. Did Brambleblaze come here? He knew the answer. ThunderClan will never truly trust him.

"Is it true?" A light voice almost made Stormshade jump out of his fur. He whirled around.

"What?"

A flame-pelted tom blinked at him. "Brambleblaze said you were there when he was exiled." He paused, licking his chest self-conciously. "Was he really with Dapplefur?"

Stormshade shifted, uncomfortable. This ThunderClan warrior was being unusually friendly. "I.. he was."

"...crazy." The ginger tom whistled, tail flicking with amusement. "Brackenstar said she had broken the code, but I guess I didn't believe it."

"Neither do I," Stormshade sighed.

"I'm sorry." The ginger lifted a paw, allowing his claws to catch the moon. "Brambleblaze is really crushed, though. He... basically sits on the border every night and watches the moor. I think he really misses you."

Galetrot was suddenly at Stormshade's side, eyes slitted. "What do you care?"

The ginger began to speak, but he was cut off by a beautiful long-furred grey she-cat. Her pelt shone silver in the moonlight. "Firefur! Come with me– I found something!"

Stormshade stared at the she-cat for a moment. Cinderdusk? He recognized her from earlier gatherings, but suddenly he couldn't look away. Galetrot softened against him, and the two toms watched as Firefur was led away.

A few beats of silence ensued. Galetrot let out a long, slow, gasp. "Did you just see that?" He whispered. "I...I think she looked at me."

Stormshade shook out his pelt. "Keep your pelt on, Galetrot. You have a mate."

"I... can still look, right?"

"StarClan." Stormshade gave the young warrior a rough cuff over the ear. "You're pathetic."

Galetrot shook out his pelt, a challenge in his eyes. "I–"

He broke off suddenly, turning to watch as ShadowClan and RiverClan arrived, mingling awkwardly with one another to cross the tree-bridge. Stormshade huffed, separating himself from Galetrot and straightening. He fell in with Nightshade, who was going to meet the other deputies.