II

Then

Wind ripped across the moor like frightened prey, flattening Stormshade's striped fur against his muscular frame.

He could feel someone glaring at him from the elder's den, and he shuddered. How can she see me? He thought, casting a glance towards the dark structure. Isn't Cloudstar blind?

It had been two days since ThunderClan's failed invasion. Galetrot was poking at the prey heap, Leopardheart pressed against his flank. A crude splint was attached to his twisted hind leg. Meanwhile, Mintfur, the Clan Medicine Cat, was trotting into camp with a fresh bundle of poppy seeds.

Stormshade gave Mintfur a nod; the tom returned it.

"Stormshade!" A she-cat's voice was raised above the murmur of camp. Mouseleap came trotting to Stormshade's side, eyes wide. "Stormshade, I need your help."

Stormshade's eyes narrowed as he turned to look at his former mate. Then his gaze softened, and for a moment, however brief, he could feel something deep within his chest melt. "What is it?" He inquired, voice suddenly gentle.

"Cloudstar," Mouseleap murmured. She looked away, ears flattening. "Her eyes hurt."

Stormshade recoiled, and the warmth in his chest gave way to solid ice. "You want me to help your mother?" He shook his head, and shouldered past her. "No! Forget it."

"Please!" She stared at him with wide, imploring eyes.

Stormshade paused, eyes rolling as he turned back to her, and growled, "Your mother was horrible to me, Mouseleap. Absolutely horrible." He stopped, opening his jaws to speak again, but he hesitated.

"Stormshade," Mouseleap mewed, "I love you." She took a step towards him, her once-brilliant green eyes dull.

"I love you too." Stormshade sighed. He turned away, trying to avoid those green eyes. "But that never mattered. Mouseleap, I was always there for you. I did everything you asked of me." He shook out his pelt, and his voice grew lower, more determined. "But for your mother, nothing was good enough."

Mouseleap padded to his side, brushing her flank against his. "Stormshade," she murmured, "No one was good enough, not for her. It wasn't personal."

Stormshade looked away from her with a snort.

"StarClan," Mouseleap exclaimed, "Don't you ever think of anyone except for yourself?"

"I do, Mouseleap!" Stormshade snapped to attention, staring back at her. Voice soft, he continued, "I think... I think about you all the time. I think about what we could've been. Every single day." Just then, an image of Beestream flashed through his mind, and he added, "But I've found someone else."

"Stormshade!" Mouseleap pleaded. "An old cat is in pain! Forget the past and... do what's right!"

Stormshade stared back at her, jaws open to make a response. The ice in his chest shattered -- his heart with it -- and he meowed softly, "I always did what was right for you. Time and again, I ignored the past, but I cannot do that any longer. There comes a time where doing what is right no longer feels right. Mouseleap, I can't do this anymore." He blinked at her, the anger in his eyes beginning to die out. Mouseleap continued to stare at him, searching his gaze as if she hoped he was lying.

Then

"To be honest," Swiftleap mewed, "I'm not even really sure where she got this idea."

Stormshade pondered his friend's words for a few moments as the pair descended into the tunnel entrance. It was relatively far from the ThunderClan border. The first half of it had been stabilized, its walls packed with mud and now dried clay, thanks to the fine work of Shaleflame and Brambleblaze.