14. The position

It was the middle of the day the following week, and Lisa was upstairs working

It was the middle of the day the following week, and Lisa was upstairs working. Bea was lying on her belly in the living room, playing, while I paid some bills. A knock came on the door. Danny was standing there with two medium lattes from Maggie's Coffeehouse when I opened it. It had been more than a month since he had last visited.

"It's been a while." I cracked a grin. "You didn't have to do that," I said as I took one of his drinks. "But it was time for my afternoon caffeine, so it was perfect timing." I waved my arm. "Please come in."

Then he knelt to greet Bea. "Oh my gosh, she's getting big."

"I know. She's going on six months. Can you believe it?"

"The clock is ticking."

"Yes...which is why I'm glad you came by. I was afraid Lisa would scare you away."

"Well, to be honest, I debated coming," he said quietly. "Your watchdog is a little intimidating."

"I'm sorry she was rude the last time you were here."

"I'm guessing she's still here?"

"Yes. Lisa is now at home. She works from home and is actually in her office upstairs."

"How long will she be on the island?"

It was getting close to the end of the summer, and Lisa had given me no indication of her plans. Every time I asked, she said she wasn't sure.

"To be honest, I'm not sure. We don't discuss it because she can stay as long as she wants because she owns half the house."

"Can I be a little nosey?"

"Sure. What's up?"

"Is there something more going on between you two?"

"No. Why do you ask?"

"Well, someone doesn't bark at another about a friend like that unless she wants her for herself."

"Lisa and I have a long history together, but we've never actually been together. In over a decade of knowing each other, we've never even kissed."

"Really..."

"She can be protective, but she doesn't want to be in a serious relationship with me-especially now. She loves Bea, but she isn't interested in having children. She doesn't want to be with me."

Something about saying those words aloud made me extremely sad-and angry. Why wasn't I enough? Why wasn't Bea enough? Lisa genuinely cared about us, but not nearly enough.

"It sounds like her loss."

"Some things are simply better left alone."

"Alright, now that you've cleared that up...May I ask you one more question?"