5. The reason

Lisa had practically become a local celebrity in Newport overnight a week later

Lisa had practically become a local celebrity in Newport overnight a week later. The crowd at Starlight's had nearly doubled since she became the nightly entertainment. Of course, the newest customers were mostly girls who had heard about the hot new headlining guitarist.

Winter and I were about to leave for work one late afternoon when her phone rang.

"Shit. Hold on. It's my agent," Winter explained.

I stood in the doorway, waiting for her to answer the phone. Her hands began to tremble after a few seconds. "You're joking, aren't you? Are you serious?" She covered her mouth while jumping up and down. "Oh my God! Yes! Of course, I can."

Finally, she let out a delighted yelp. "Thank you very much, Marcus. Thank you for informing me! Oh my goodness. So, what's next? Oh okay! I'll call you later tonight," she said before hanging up the phone.

"What's going on?" I wanted to know.

Winter screamed with delight and drew me into a hug, her boney frame pressing against my ample chest.

"I was cast as an understudy for a major role in The Phenomenals...on Broadway! It was one of two auditions I had the previous week. I had dismissed it as a long shot. My agent was not even going to send me at first!" Lisa came downstairs when she let out another loud squeal.

"What the hell is going on down here?" Lisa asked, lifted her brow, then Winter dashed up to her and threw herself into Lisa's arms.

"Baby! I was cast as Veronica's understudy in The Phenomenals!"

"Are you serious? Holy shit. That's fucking amazing!" She spun her around and lifted her up in the air.

"Congratulations, Win!" I cleared my throat, feeling awkward and like a third wheel. "I'm extremely happy for you!"

Lisa finally put her down. "When does this all go down?"

"They want me to be in New York in a few days."

She appeared frazzled. "Aw, shucks. Alright...um... I wish I hadn't agreed to work at Starlight's. I would have just gone back with you."

"It's fine. Isn't it just a couple of weeks that you promised him? It'll go by quickly."