2. The meet up

Humans are like jigsaw pieces and they have to keep finding a spot where they could fit in and feel complete

Humans are like jigsaw pieces and they have to keep finding a spot where they could fit in and feel complete. It's gonna be hard but in the end, there would always be a place where other pieces would be connected to you.

The day has finally came.

It was unmistakably the calm before the storm; I just didn't realise it at the time. The property was in good condition because the neighbour, Naddy, who was also Grandma's close friend, had taken care of it.

I was knocking on wood two weeks into my stay at grandma's summer house—my summer house—hoping that the peace and quiet would last.

Lisa hasn't said anything. Nobody has said anything. Just me, myself, and my books as I began the summer in peace amidst the salty ocean air that surrounded me on the island.

Never in my life had I been more grateful for such tranquillity. It was only a little more than a month ago that I felt as if my world had come to an end. Not only had Grandma died, but I'd also recently discovered that Shawn, my two-year boyfriend, had been cheating on me.

We'd just had sex when he went to the bathroom to dispose of the condom and to take a shower the night I found out. He'd left his phone by the bedside, and that's when I discovered all of the messages from this bitch named Dina.

He usually carried his phone with him everywhere, including the bathroom, but he made a mistake that night. I later found Dina on Facebook and discovered that half of the photos she posted were of the two of them. I'd had a feeling something was wrong with him for the previous six months. That was the final confirmation I needed. I found out just before I left for the summer house that Shawn had moved to Boston to live with her.

As a result, this was a significant period of transition for me. I was twenty-four years old, single again, and embarking on a new adventure in Newport for the summer.

Summers were free for me because of my teaching job in Providence. My hope was to find a temporary job for the season, but for the time being, I just wanted to relax for a few weeks.

My day would begin with a cup of coffee on the upper deck, which overlooked Easton's Beach. While listening to the seagulls, I would check Facebook, read In Style, or simply meditate. I'd then soak in the tub upstairs for as long as I wanted before getting dressed and starting my day, which would entail curling up on the couch with a book.

I'd make lunch and bring it back out to the upper deck by mid-afternoon. I used to drive down to Thames Street in Newport before dark and browse the shops, looking at blown glass, trinkets, and nautical artwork. Then I'd make a pit stop for gelato or coffee.

The day would usually end with a trip down to the dock for some freshly caught lobster or quahogs. I'd bring them home in a bag and steam them in a pot in the backyard.Then, while watching the sunset over the Atlantic, I'd sit down to dinner with a bottle of chilled white wine.