chapter seventeen

"Be cautious with your decisions today

"Be cautious with your decisions today. Danger can lurk beneath even the calmest waters."

—Daily Horoscope, StarsAligned Website

Kit not only led Wylan to the airport safely by back roads, she also maneuvered them into an underground parking garage hidden among all the entry and exit ramps.

The moment they parked, Thad rushed around the car to help her out. "You got the bags?" He said over the top of the car.

Wylan moved to the trunk. "Yep. Right behind you."

As they walked in, Iris stopped. "I don't have a fake ID," she said, low.

Wylan frowned. "You don't need a fake ID. Only Thad and I do."

"Won't they be able to track if I get on a plane?"

Thad pat her shoulder once. "All we need is for it to scan correctly. Let Kit take care of the rest."

Nervous, she trailed next to them. "Kit needs a raise," she said.

"Agreed," Wylan hiked a new olive-green bag up on his shoulder. He handed Thad one in a deep red.

Wylan and Thad kept the conversation quiet but friendly as the three of them moved through check in and security. Iris waited for security to stop her, but they did no such thing. "Ability?" was all the guard asked.

"No," Iris said. Her voice wavered, even though it was true and right there on her ID, under her name. Ability: none.

Get it together, Iris. She scolded herself, her palms sweating under her fingerless gloves. By some miracle—thank the Stars—the guard handed her back her ID and her boarding pass and waved her through.

She went through the metal detector while security did a cursory check of her bag. There was nothing in there but normal items—a hairbrush, a toothbrush, some clothes, and deodorant. Everything she'd packed back from her apartment.

Although the guards appeared completely bored by the entire process, she still waited for one of them to snap at her. Flag her. Something.

Instead, they let her go.

"Have a nice flight," the last guard said tonelessly.

Wylan finished up right behind her. He rested an arm on her shoulder. "Hey, friend."

Despite the seriousness of the situation, she couldn't help the laugh that escaped. "Hi, friend."

"Ready for our vacation?"

"I've always wanted to go to the Twin Isles," she told him truthfully, letting him draw her into a conversation. At least it would pull her out of her nerves.