chapter thirty

"

"... not yet identified a direct link between compatibility of Destined pairs and abilities. In fact, researchers have theorized levels of a certain hormone that enters the bloodstream upon activation of a mate bond may result in the manifestation of particular abilities..."

—Hallie Jones, Talk Show Host, The Jones Show, Season 4, episode 7

The first thing Wylan noticed was the floor underneath him moving.

The second thing was the muted sobbing close to him. His head, neck, and shoulders ached fiercely. With a groan, he sat up. Opened his eyes.

His arms were yanked tight and zip-tied tightly behind him. His fingertips touched cool, uneven sheet metal. His legs were similarly zip-tied at the ankles.

Someone had propped him upward against the wall of what was essentially a small metal box. A dark metal box. He peered around, trying to make sense of the surrounding darkness.

Someone across from him sobbed again. They couldn't have been but a few feet, if even, from his own spot. And yet, he could not see them. "Hey."

The crying sounded like it was coming from a woman, however, a male voice from the across the way answered him. "We're in a storage container of some sort."

Wylan locked onto the voice and frowned. "'We're'?"

"Mary, I, and you."

Mary.

"And you are?" Wylan asked carefully.

"My name is Greg."

"Mary and Greg... Daniels?"

"You know us?"

Stars. Fucking. Damn. It.

What were the odds? Maybe, in all this shit storm, the Stars had decided to give Wylan one thing. Just one.

He'd found the Daniels.

"Just us?" He asked carefully.

"There's another guy. He's still out."

"How long has he been here?"

"He came when you did."

Thad maybe? If only he could see in this unending nightmare.

If it was Thad, the fact they were alive right now and not in a pit or discarded off the side of a highway was an absolute miracle.

But why keep them alive?

"Was he visibly injured?" Wylan asked.

"It was hard for my eyes to adjust when they finally opened the door," Greg said. "But he looked to be in about the same condition."