chapter forty-one

"It is with an immensely heavy heart that we provide you with breaking news: Palace officials have confirmed the death of King Demitri Ivan Nicolai Antonov early this morning

"It is with an immensely heavy heart that we provide you with breaking news: Palace officials have confirmed the death of King Demitri Ivan Nicolai Antonov early this morning. Although no specifics have yet been released, palace officials confirmed King Demitri quietly suffered from an aggressive cancer that led to his sudden decline. Officials have confirmed funeral services will be held, though service details are not yet confirmed. We will release more information as it becomes available. Again, for those of you just tuning in..."

— Joden Thomas, East City Daily News

Four days later, Iris paced the edge of the cream and beige rug in her rooms at the Second Palace. She wore a black pantsuit with a black button down. One that had been carefully tailored to her measurements in a quick but efficient session two days ago.

Her hair, still lavender for now, was curled and arranged in a careful low twist that her hairstylist, a young man named Finn, had put together for her earlier this morning.

Today was King Demitri's funeral. Less than four days and already they'd be putting him on the ground. It was an event that would take all day. Much like the funeral of the late King Aedan and Queen Terra, King Demitri's funeral would involve a procession around Redlian. The procession would make its way through the streets, past the Yasha Fountain and other major monuments that marked the history of Aeriana, until eventually they'd make their way back to the royal burial grounds where they would put him to rest, right near her biological parents.

They wouldn't announce her identity until after the funeral. The kingdom of Aeriana could only take so much at one time. Iris had fought with Reese to make sure the news of her identity came after. She did not want any news of who she was to take away or overshadow this moment today. King Demitri deserved the attention, the outpouring of grief, the love.

How she was supposed to follow him someday was beyond her. She could never be half of what King Demitri was. And yet, she'd have to follow him up someday.

Reese had told her that news two days ago. The king had already signed an official document, making Catalina his Regent only until Iris was ready to take the crown.

Catalina, the king's cousin, was an amazing woman. She had been nothing but kind and welcoming when she'd met Iris. And although Iris never wanted to meet any of her other family because of these circumstances, she'd been relieved to meet Catalina.

"We'll hold this kingdom together, you and I," Catalina had told her in the sitting room of Iris' rooms the other day. Wylan had urged Iris to rest and relax, which meant hardly leaving her rooms. Catalina had dotted a tissue at the corner of her eye and sniffed. "We'll make Demi proud."

"I don't know that I—"

Catalina carefully but politely cut her off. "You're much stronger and more capable than you think, Iris. And I and Reese and Wylan will be here with you every single step of the way. Besides," she said. "I think it's time this kingdom had some strong women at the reins again, don't you think?" Then she winked.

There was nothing but silence from The Circle. After revealing the details of her impending coronation and her responsibility to the Crown, she'd expressed a concern for the members of the Circle who so far had stayed quiet. "Brannon couldn't have been the only one," she said to Reese. "There's got to be someone else who's going to pick up where he left off."

"Maybe so," Reese said carefully, "but you'll be completely unreachable. And for now, until we get more information, we'll continue to prepare on our side until the next cell appears. When it does, we'll be ready. Until then, we'll enjoy that they've gone quiet. One of their top ranking members was killed. It will take them time to regroup. By then, we'll have eradicated the members that we can, and we'll be prepared for them should they choose to pop up again."

Back in her room, Iris took a deep breath and, slowly, took off her glove. She stared at the wave Acemark on her finger.

She'd been afraid for so long. Afraid for others to see her Acemark. Fearful for others to see the artist behind her work. Scared for others to really see her.

It's time to let go of the fear, she told herself. If she was going to do this, if she was going to be who King Demitri and the kingdom needed, then she had to stop hiding.

She thought of Lady Elizabeth. Of the Acemark she wore proudly on her wrist. She thought of the Aces who had Acemarks on their faces or other spots that weren't easily hidden. Then she thought of all the opportunities they missed out on, or the reasons the marks held them back.

They didn't. She couldn't think of any.

Iris took a deep breath. It was time to come out of hiding. In more ways than one.

Someone knocked on her door.

"Come in," she called.

Wylan closed the door after him. "Your parents are downstairs waiting. Are you ready?"

He wore a carefully pressed and well fitted black suit. His dark hair was swept to the side in an organized yet suave fashion.

She took in the entire picture that was Wylan. Hers. He was hers. Would always be hers.

"You look..."

Wylan glanced down at his suit with a frown and straightened the deep red tie at his neck. "I know, I feel like a dressed up monkey."

Trust Wylan to make her laugh at a time like this. Shaking her head, she crossed the room to meet him and straightened his already straight collar. "I was going to say you look handsome."

Wylan pressed a kiss to her forehead. "I'm not about to overshadow the most beautiful woman out there, but maybe I can do my best not to embarrass her by standing next to her."

The warmth his actions and words gave her felt like liquid syrup that flowed from her chest into her bloodstream.

"I don't know about that," she said. "But at least between the two of us, hopefully, we won't embarrass ourselves."

"Never," he promised her. And it was a promise. He would do whatever it took to make sure she wasn't embarrassed. And he would protect her and support her all along the way.

Wylan froze. "Iris, your hand."

Feeling shaky, but reminding herself of her promise, Iris held up her hand. It was paler than her other one, but with a bit of sun, she'd bring some more color to it. "I've decided I'm done hiding," she said. "I'm tired of being afraid."

Wylan's carefully held her hand in his, as if it was something precious to hold. "May I?"

Iris nodded.

He looked at the Acemark on her ring finger and just took it in. "It's beautiful," he breathed.

"It'll do," she teased.

Wylan pressed a kiss to it. It made her shiver for another reason. "Anyone who wants to dare doubt who you are only has to see this mark."

"Was it what you thought it would be?"

"No. It's better."

Iris couldn't help herself. She pulled Wylan into a hug, wrapping her arms around his neck. The scent of soft citrus and his cologne washed over her. She pressed a kiss under his ear. "When this whole thing settles down, I want to take you on a date."

Wylan's torso shook as he chuckled. "Aren't I supposed to be the one to ask you on a date?"

Iris stepped back and patted his chest. "We can tell people you asked first if it makes you feel better."

Wylan only shook his head with a low chuckle. Then he repeated his original question when he first stepped into the room. "Are you ready?"

Iris nodded. "Let's go make Uncle Demi proud."