chapter thirty-two

"'You're in a new relationship with the beautiful Kamree Philips

"'You're in a new relationship with the beautiful Kamree Philips. Do you have any advice for those of us in budding relationships ourselves?

" You have to fight for them. Whether it's against society, others, or themselves. Fight for them.'"

Daxton Cavenaugh, interview with Martin Ferrara, The Martin Ferrara Show

Although the truck stopped, the trailer shuddered as water encompassed it. Wylan refused to let go of that itch, the ability he'd unraveled and formed into a weapon. If he let it go, would he be able to gather it up again?

He refused to find out.

One of their drivers yelled and came around the side of the truck.

"Holy shit!"

"It's one of them. It's got to be."

"I told you we should've kept them tranq'd!"

"Shut up and help me."

Wylan wondered if these men knew the walls of this trailer were no where near sound proofed.

"You got this, Thad?"

"Let's chase the Stars," Thad said.

Wylan kept picking at the ties on his wrists, feeling thick moisture building where the rope chafed at his skin. Blood.

Nothing would slow him down. Not when Iris was out there somewhere, at risk.

The hatched opened with a heavy clunk and scrape, a sound that had him bracing.

The door opened. Just the crack of light was like looking directly at the sun. He closed his eyes in pain. After so long spent in the absolute dark, the light, even the smallest bit, was blinding.

He couldn't afford the time it would take to adjust. He would work around it.

The moment the door opened wider, Thad was there, waiting. "Hey."

His partner struck out with both feet, catching the guy's hand. The guy grunted, letting go.

Behind him, another male aimed a weapon at Thad, finger on the trigger, and prepared to fire.

"Thad! Down!" Wylan shouted. He grabbed that thread—the water—and yanked.

Thad threw himself back and rolled. Something pinged as it hit the metal floor.

Stars, they meant to hit all of them by firing wildly.

He pulled at the thread.

And the water responded.

A dark wave flooded over the two outside. They gave twin yelps as the water crashed over them.

Wylan didn't waste a second. He pulled again, this time towards the truck trailer. "Hold your breath!"