Chapter 11

Recap

Just when Mama banged Zulekha's head into the house through the back door, Tariq's heart was also banging against his chest. What just happened? Because it hurts.

He heaved out a sigh and when Mama stared at him, observing him for the first time, from his dark full brows to his pink shaped lips. And for a second Mama had this unsettling feeling that she knew someone, somewhere with those looks.

           (Unedited)

Nigeria, Kaduna State.
18th December, 2018.

Two days later, Ya Umar threw another tantrum, Mama tried pacifying him but to no avail.

   "This is my Father's house not yours! So whether you like it or not. You must leave."

Unknown emotions passed across Tariq's eyes due to Umar's Words.

    "I will leave." He muttered.

   "Better." Ya Umar heaved a sigh.

Ya Umar stayed in the garden with his hands wrapped around him, fuming in rage. Baba watched him from the balcony, shaking his head, he called out to him. "Umar." He gestured for him to come up and he did, not before glancing at Tariq's room.

A minute passed without anyone saying anything. Baba cleared his throat. "What did he do?"

    "I don't like him."

Baba examined him out for a moment, "why?"

Shrugging his shoulders, Umar stood up. "Baba, i just don't like him, been having a bad feeling about him."

      "Umar." Baba smiled ruefully, "if you want Allah to decree goodness in your life then start by making better assumptions of people. Let Tariq be, he's not here to please you." Baba patted his shoulders and left him standing there, with his jaw dropped to the floor.

An incoming call from Mama made Umar to move from the balcony to Mama's room. He met her pacing to and forth in her room, she looked disturbed. "Mama? What's wrong?" He asked, placing his hands on her shoulder.

  She heaved a sigh, "umar, that guy, the gardener, whatever he's called."

   "What about him Mama?"

   "I don't like him, I don't trust him."

Exasperatedly, Umar said. "I don't like him either, Mama."

   You don't like anyone Umar.

   "There's something about him, something about his face." Mama paused, "umar you know what?"

He shook his head, sitting down at the edge of the bed.

    "Befriend him."

A chuckle escaped his lips, "Never, I can't! He's not my type."

Mama rolled her eyes, sitting beside him on the bed. "Of course Umar, you're not his type, you're better than him, far better than him."

He shrugged off his shoulders, "i know Mama."

   "Then get close to him, get to know him, know what he's upto."

He nodded not because he wanted to. And when Umar walked casually to the garden, he knew he's doing this for two, know what Tariq is upto and what his mother is upto. What she's thinking and what she's planning.

Umar glimpsed at Tariq that was sitting in the garden, he was hanging his head, he looked sad yet so peaceful. For a second Umar felt bad, it was a first.

Sitting beside Tariq, He did what he had never done. He apologized and when Tariq's lips curved into a duchenne smile, Umar knew he's an easygoing person. If only he knw that life turned him into one.

Ya Faruq was surprised to see them sitting together even though not comfortable, there wasn't any tension around. Outwardly, he smiled, as Umar's twin he's hundred percent sure his twin brother is upto something.

   "Assalamu Alaikum." Faruq stretched out his right hand to Tariq. Slumping beside Umar on the bench, he whispered, "hello there bro, we all know you're here for something, what're you upto?"

A glare from Umar made him to shrug off his shoulders. "Mind your business Faruq."

Rolling his eyes dramatically, he patted his twin shoulder. "See you around."

Zulekha casually walked around the house, she caught sight of Ya Umar and Tariq sitting together, she was perplexed.

****

For the first time in a decade, Umar came to meet Faruq. He sat on his bedside drawer, using his fingers to drum on it.

  "Faruq." He called out, and when Faruq surveyed him up, he moved closer to him seeing how serious he was looking.

   "What's up?"

  Umar scratched the back of his head, "thoughts about the new gardener?"

   Faruq stared at him for a while, "As in? He seems nice, calm and he's neat, too neat."

          "And a little bit depressed." Umar added quickly.

Faruq pinched the space between his eyes, staring deeply at Umar. "You've always been Nosy, Mr. Umar."

Umar mentally rolled his eyes, "And you've always been annoying, Mr. Faruq."

    "Whatever it is Umar, mind your business."

   "Likewise, Faruq."