Secrets, Pt. 1

"So tell me what you want to hear

Something that will light those ears
I'm sick of all the insincere

This time
Don't need another perfect lie
Don't care if critics ever jump in line
I'm gonna give all my secrets away"

- "Secrets" by OneRepublic

***

The silence was near deafening between us. I would have lost my mind to the crickets if it wasn't for Margaritaville by Jimmy Buffet playing loudly from the other room. Still, I was going stir-crazy from Alexander not responding to me. 

He was thinking. It was clear that Alexander had not thought of what he wanted in return. He was just quick to the opportunity of having something beneficial in return. A man that seized the opportunity.

"I don't have to do anything you say," I spoke up.

"Correct. But, then how would you know if I have killed someone before?"

"You haven't. From my analysis, you're as innocent as can be. I don't believe you have killed someone. I don't believe you're in a gang. And, I don't believe that you do underground street fighting."

Alexander studied me for a minute before bursting out in laughter.

I slapped Alexander's arm. Within a flash, Alexander grabbed my hand, spun me, and pushed me on the bed. Hovering over me, Alexander gave a small chuckle. "You sure about all that, Angel?"

I grimaced at the nickname. "Please, no. I want to puke at that name."

"Maybe, the Virgin Mary is more fitting?"

"Are you sure you're not a religious person?" I sarcastically stated. "If not, you might consider praying after you experience the pain of my knee in your nether regions. That is if you don't get off me. Capeesh?"

Alexander smiled as he got off me. "I'm offering you a one-time offer. Twenty-one questions, both ways. I will be completely honest with you if you swear to be completely honest with me."

"What if I lie?" I feared that with Alexander's mischievous behavior, I would want to avoid the truth - even though it goes against every fiber of my being.

"Then I'll lie."

"How will you know I'm lying?"

"In case no one has ever told you, let me be the first. You're the worst liar. You have signs. Everyone does."

I took in a large breath of air before loudly releasing it. "It can be hard for me to tell when people are lying. How will I know you are going to tell the truth? Besides, if you have killed why on earth would you tell me?"

Alexander gave a nod to my valid argument. "All true. You don't know if I'll tell the truth. Except, I swear to you that I will be truthful and you can take my word. I've nothing to hide from you, not even if it's the sin of me possibly killing someone."

"And, why is that?"

"I trust you." Alexander did that unwavering look that let me know he was dead serious. "So, what's your dream job?" Alexander adjusted himself to a laid-out position on my bed. He crossed his legs and placed his arms behind his neck. 

My brain was slow to answer as I weighed my options of playing his game. On one hand, I did not need to know the truth. But curiosity always got the better of me. The smug expression on Alexander's face told me that he knew I was going to cave. 

"I want to be a veterinarian." I moved to sit cross-legged on the bed, in front of Alexander.

"You get to ask me a question."