5 - Fate

"Thank you, Heeseung," Mom said sincerely as Heeseung puts on his coat, "for coming all the way here right after your evening study sessions at school. Oh god! You're still in your uniform too...I must make you some night snacks next time you come..." Mom started rambling on again as if Heeseung has become her son within the hour he has been at our house.

"I know this is far off from both your school and where you live...I really hope that Yubin has been a good student who's worthwhile of your effort in dropping by," She finished by saying.

"She definitely is, Mrs. Jung," Heeseung affirmed, "She's very talented and can achieve a lot if she continues down the path."

"Oh my, that's such high praise!" Mom seems exhilarated at his words, "Yubin's never received such encouragement from her other teachers!"

"No no Mrs. Jung...it really isn't only encouragement," Heeseung clarified, "I really mean it."

"Hear that, Yubin?" Mom said quite excitedly, "Thank you so much Heeseung dear...oh right! When can you drop by next time? We still haven't confirmed set days, right?"

"Well...how does Yubin feel?" He asked with a nervousness to his voice and I could sense that his eyes were fixated in my direction.

"I..." I answered as honestly as possible after a slight pause, "...really like the way you teach. N-Not only that. The dynamics to your singing, the polished techniques to your instrument playing, your passion for music. I really have a lot to learn from you....Heeseung."

"Wow our Yubin!" Mom seems shocked, probably at the amount that I have spoken and how heartfelt those words were, "It seems like I made the right decision to find you a music teacher! One as talented as Heeseung too! Then let's set the dates to the weekends, that way it's more convenient for you to come by."

"Mrs. Jung, I'm truly flattered," Heeseung replied politely, "Then...I'm able to come on both days of the weekend at anytime. Also, I must mention that I can just take minimum wage, no need to pay me the amount you suggested."

"Really??" Mom almost screamed, "Heeseung my dear, I really don't think that's fitting...there is quite a big gap between what I should pay you and the minimum wage...you're a student too, so your time is more precious than anyone else's..."

"No no, I insist Mrs. Jung. I'm willing to do this since it's enjoyable to teach Yubin and I think she will be a fine musician in the future, if she's willing to continue learning. There's plenty of other places that she would need money for if she decides to pursue the path."

"Oh my..Heeseung, you are such a considerate child," Mom sounds like she's on the verge of tears, "You should come for dinner on the weekends then! At least let me repay your kindness and consideration in that way."

"I would love that," He said cheerfully, and even without knowing his face, I could picture a bright, kind smile that would bring a lovely upward tilt to a pair of unclouded eyes.