1 - Mr...Heeseung

December 26, Thursday//Snow

Today was especially cold.

I woke up shivering and was told it snowed during the night. I have a blurry impression of what snow looked like. I remembered it to be white and fluffy looking, as if it were a coat made of polar bear fur. I don't know if that's what it looks like anymore...I wish I could refresh my memory on that. After all, my internal visual constructions are less efficient nowadays.

Ms. Kim came by to teach math and science today as usual. And surprisingly, Mom told me that a new teacher, Mr. Lee, will be coming by later after dinner at around 9 to teach music. I'm quite pleased by this news since music has been my best companion ever since the accident. But it really is an oddly late hour, 9pm. I've never gotten lessons after 6. Mom told me Mr. Lee is relatively young, so he's got things that he has to attend to. I wonder how

"Rachel! Bring Yubin down!" Mom screamed suddenly and I shuddered, dropping my pen on the desk, "Mr. Lee is here!"

"Yes ma'am, coming!" Rachel, who's been my caretaker all these years, replied and I immediately sensed her steps entering my room.

"Here Yubin," she took my hand and placed it onto her arm. I stood from my desk and followed her lead slowly through the halls and down the stairs.

"I really wish music could become something she wants to continue...better mood...she's had a hard time...I really hope..." Mom is blabbering to the teacher about how unfortunate I am again. A usual procedure.

"Yubin, this is Mr. Lee." As soon as I stepped down the final flights of stairs, Mom started, "Mr. Lee, this is our Yubin."

"Haha Mrs. Jung, you're too polite. No need to call me Mr. Lee," an unfamiliar voice came not far from the front door.

It was weird. Even though the tone of the voice was warm and cozy, it was clear, with each word precisely articulated. The slight hint of nasal quality made everything he said sounded sweet, and each word that flowed into my ears oddly reminded me of the taste of the honey lemon soda I had earlier. The voice clearly belonged to a boy no more than in his early 20s. "I believe I'm around the same age as your daughter. So just 'Heeseung' is fine."

"Oh that's right! You're only a year older than Yubin, that's very convenient!" Mom exclaimed enthusiastically and now turned to me, "Yubin! Heeseung here has been studying music since he was very young and is planning to study abroad. I went to the best music education institute around Seoul and they recommended him as a top student there. Very fortunately, he has some time on his hands now before he leaves for America next year, so he can teach you the basics!"

"Oh..." I was overwhelmed with the amount of information associated with this unfamiliar voice, and squeezed out some generic greetings "nice to meet you, Mr...Heeseung."

"Pfhahaha" the warm voice broke into a chuckle, obviously laughing at the awkward "Mr" before his name, "Nice to meet you too, Ms. Yubin."