2 - A Girl Without Sight

[Heeseung POV]

I followed the slow steps of the 17 year old girl and her caretaker up the long flights of stairs that spiralled to the 3rd floor and entered a spacious room with almost nothing in it. A bed, a desk, a chair, and a bookshelf in the corner were all there is.

"I'll get a chair for you," after settling Yubin on her chair in front of the desk, the caretaker scurried out the room and returned quickly with a chair. After placing it down, she scurried away without a word, closing the door as she exited.

Now it's just the 2 of us in the room, I sat down to face the girl in awkward silence. Her eyes were large and the ends tilted upwards like a cat's. I was informed beforehand that she wasn't able to see, but for a moment, under the ceiling lights, her dark brown pupils were twinkling and seemed to be staring straight into mine. But as soon as I moved my head to the left, I realized that they were simply unfocussed and staring into nothingness. It was the first time I'd met someone without sight.

Her expression seemed strangely anxious and her lips moved as if she wanted to say something, but quickly took it back in the tense situation.

"So should we..." I tried to break the ice with a generic question, "should we get to know more of each other before we go on?"

"Ok," she replied quietly after a pause.

"Alright," I felt slightly more relieved now she's finally said something. "My name is Lee Heeseung." I gestured for her to introduce her name properly, but realized that was an extremely useless act. "Uh-What about you?"

"Jung Yubin," she said slightly louder this time.

"I'm 18 years old."

"I'm 17."

"I like music."

"I like...I liked painting." She nearly whispered.

Past tense like-d... I breathed in sharply and realized this has gone to remind her of some unwanted memories of the past.

"Ah! Ah...I'm sorry," I frantically apologized.

"No no, it's fine," she shook her head with a rather bitter smile and waved her hands, "I'm just too nervous since I haven't met any new people in the past couple of years..."

"Um..what kind of music do you make...Heeseung?" she asked reluctantly as I was brooding over what inoffensive things to comment on.

"Ah-yes. I currently specialize in voice in Hanlim Multi Art School. I can also play the piano, guitar, and produce music if you're interested in learning that." Finally on track.

"Can you...sing a bit then?"

"Yeah of course!" I replied enthusiastically, happy that she's finally less anxious, "do you have any requests in particular?"

"Could you sing a song about snow?"

"Is it because it snowed for the first time today?" I smiled as she nodded softly and her lips gently curled upward.