Chapter 28: Dorothy

[Dorothy's POV]

"Damn it," I hissed through my clenching teeth, "and just when at the most crucial time." My powder was empty! How am I going to apply my blush without powder?

I just bought that new shade, but I didn't notice that the container of my powder was dried to the last spec. I was careless. My refills were also emptied!

I checked the clock, it was about four in the morning, and I had to make breakfast, but I was not done with my makeup yet. There was no doing my makeup after I prepared breakfast. It would take me fifteen minutes, and we would straight away go out to the sea where Michael was waiting for me after breakfast.

Now what?

I can't go out without powder and blush! I would look hideous with my uneven brown skin and . . . I did a twice over at the small standing mirror on top of my makeshift dresser.

Oh, my goddess!

Is that a pimple?!

I gasped and zoomed the mirror closer to my face. They were tiny red dots on my cheeks full of white icky stuff, just like with Trinity's. Caressing it with the pads of my fingers, I cringed at the bumps and rugged texture.

I definitely have to get that powder even I had to beg the other girls in the village. What if this was the day that Michael proposed to me, and he got turned off when he saw my pimples and uneven, coarse skin?

And then a light bulb appeared over my head.

Trinity!

She had powder! I remembered one time that I gave her my old compact. Trinity doesn't put powder much, so that compact should still be half full.

I rushed through my dress and climbed the attic. There was no time, and I banged the door aside and entered her room. It was the same room as mine with no furniture except those we found from scraps and had old man Jim put together.

"Wha . . ." I paused for a second at the sight of Trinity's messy room. It wasn't like her to be this dirty. There were scattered herbs over the floor, and her once-kept bed was turned into a table where all sorts of tools, plants, and whatever gibberish she had were laid on the tapestry.

There were vials with strange liquids inside and glass containers with ointment and creams as well as mortal and pestle and a burner under a pot.

"Just what on earth is she doing?" I murmured under my breath and shook my head as I skimmed over her things.

I was curious about the ointment and creams and decided to test them on my skin. They didn't smell funny, and the texture was actually on par with those luxury creams in the nobles' shop. I also love that it was light and 'powderish,' not sticking on my face.

Eventually, I spotted my compact in one of the scattered things over her bed.

"There you are." I opened the lead and took a moment when the supposed to be white powder turned to pastel yellow and light green.

"What's this?" I pinched the blotches of powder and rubbed it between the pad of my thumb and index finger. The little blots of greenish starched turned to paste-like fine flour.

"Did it grow molds?" I wondered and took a sniff. It didn't smell like it was expired.

Shrugging, I put it on my face –– a lot of it to cover the pimples and coarseness of my skin.

"Who are you?"

I yelped and looked over the door to see Trinity sporting a face of horror than shock that she found me in her room.

I stood to my feet and flipped my hair. "My powder runs out, so I used yours. No need to be so stunned."

She frowned before recognition hit her face. "D-Dorothy?"

I rolled my eyes. "Duh. Who do you think it is? A goddess?" I huffed a fake laugh. "No need to be so surprised. I know that I changed my makeup style a little and looked more eye-catching than usual, but you don't have to stare at me like I'm the most beautiful girl in the world."

Trinity's eyes bulged, and I was beginning to worry when her jaw dropped.

"What's wrong with you?" I asked and raised a brow. "Rather, where did you go this early in the morning?"

Instead of answering me, Trinity's face grew anxious, and she paced back and forth with a hand on her forehead.

"This can't be happening. Oh no. Oh no . . . ," she muttered with shaking breathes.

That's a lot of reaction from just using a powder that I myself gave her. "It's mine, to begin with. Don't worry. I'll buy you a new one in town later." So stingy.

Trinity blinked like she didn't hear me. She then grabbed my shoulders, and I tipped back when her pimple-covered face zoomed on me.

"Get away. Don't you know that your ugly face is contagious?" I spat, but her grip only tightened against my skin.

"Okay," she inhaled and let out a big breath, "listen closely to me and don't panic."

My brow rose. "Huh?" What was wrong with her today? "Are you on drug–"

But the next words never came to my mouth when I noticed my reflection on her pale blue eyes.

The woman that was supposed to be me had long curly hair in cascading violet. Alluring mystifying eyes and smooth translucent skin. She was beautiful except for the mouse snout, rabbit teeth, and a flopped of dog ears resting on her shoulders.

. . .

. . .

Who?

I blinked, and it mirrored what I did, and my eyes rolled to the back of my head.

The last thing I heard was Trinity calling my name.

"Dorothy!"

----

A/N

DECEMBER Stretched Goals in W.E.B.N.O.V.E.L!

Every 100PS = 1 Chapter ^^

Every 50GT = 2 chapters ^^

500 Collection = 5 chapters ^^