Chapter 1: Trinity

"I'm sorry, Trin. I'm really am. I'm really sorry."

It took a lot of my willpower not to twitch at Silvia's every word. Especially the sound of my name from her clear, crisp voice.

My eyelids dropped. Nobody called me that except Rhazien. It was his pet name for me, and he snarled at anyone who called me by that name. It was exclusive for him.

Until Silvia appeared that is . . .

Looking at her, the very sight of her made my mouth go sour. Her hair tumbled in waves, red as autumn like sunset was glowing in her hair. Her brows curved, leading to a bold forehead which made her small pouty cherry lips stand out. Her face was made up but not overly done, just enough to highlight her beauty.

Her sun-kissed shoulders were exposed beneath her silken dress, and her eyes glowed like fire, burning and fierce. But also liquid and innocent.

She was beautiful, alright. But it shouldn't be enough to make her stay in Rhazien's palace as his concubine, especially when he promised me that I would be his one and only Queen.

Thorn of anger poked the back of my eyes, remembering the pressure from the council and the plea of his people made him bend his resolution.

But I know it wasn't the only reason . . .

Rubbing my empty stomach, my eyes closed for a brief moment. The reason why I couldn't get pregnant after all the fucking we were doing . . . it was because I was never his mate.

Taking deep, calming breaths, I faced Silvia. She was genuinely sorry, and her eagerness and bright countenance were a refreshing sight in the dull, gloomy palace. She wore her emotions on her face, and she possessed an uncanny ability to shine. Maybe that was the reason why she stole the hearts of many, even if she had just arrived two months ago.

Even the vampires treated her as their own though she was a mere mortal. While I still had to walk on silver daggers around them. Even after Rhazien changed me and all the things I had accomplished, their respect for me was only surface deep. Their attitude towards me was more because they respected and obeyed Rhazien than something born out of their hearts.

'Is it because I am not Rhazien's mate?' I smiled bitterly at myself.

"I'm so sorry, Trin." Silvia's hands clamped tightly over her quivering mouth.

I didn't know what she was sorry about. Was it because she lacked the grace and etiquette when conducting herself even after a month of practice? Or was it because I was doing all her job while she enjoyed her desserts, her frequent strolls in towns in disguised of getting to know the Kingdom, and the many pieces of jewelry and dresses she bought along the way?

But this was not the time to shove those accusations down her throat. I could do nothing as the vampires rallied behind her back just because she was Rhazien's mate. Rhazien was the same. He couldn't do anything as well . . .

Or I hope he was still the same . . .

"I really didn't know that you're Rhazien's wife."

My insides swirled like the strongest tempest. What did she mean that she didn't know? Then what did she look like when she was together with Rhazien? His sister?

But the sound of Rhazien's name on her lips made me want to rip her head and drink every last bit of her blood.

I sighed under my breath and forced my rage to simmer down. "You don't have to be sorry. You're simply . . . ," ignorant, "trying to survive."

I faked a smile. Speaking to her felt like my tongue was rubbing salt. "Isn't that why you accepted to be his Highness's concubine?"

Silvia ran her teeth over her bottom lip. "Y-yes. I was overwhelmed when I was suddenly transported here."