Chapter 24: Michael

[Trinity's POV]

After my successful trip to Hamill Estate a few days ago, I finished all the potions I needed to make my travel come to fruition.

I set my plans to finally leave Madam Bertud's house next week and travel to Illuminara city, the main capital where the Church is located. Usually, it should be Seraphim City, home to the Palace that should be the main capital, but since the Church had more power over the public and the crown was just for show, everyone treated Illuminara as the capital.

But first . . . I rolled my tongue against my inner cheeks—time to test the course of events with the Love Philtre I made. I dropped a small amount in the basket full of cookies and arranged the love letter note on the ribbon.

"There! All complete!"

I was sure that Michael would eat it since I bought it from his favorite bread shop in town. A simpleton like him who received gifts each day wouldn't suspect a thing when a basket of cookies appeared in front of his door.

It was still too early, around three in the morning. But it was perfect for executing my plans. Everyone was still sleeping while Michael and his father were out from the village to fish in the sea. And when he returned this morning after a hard day's work, he'd be delighted to find his favorite cookie in front of his doorstep that he wouldn't be able to resist a bite.

I pictured the scene in my head and snickered at my imagination. They'll be the talk of the town, and if Dorothy were lucky, maybe Michael would feel responsible for taking her purity and offer her to be his mistress.

Then maybe Dorothy wouldn't die, and the course of events would change?

I smirked. Only one way to find out . . .

I was not worried that the others would take a bite on the cookie. Such a rookie mistake was within my calculations. I made sure to put a spell that the Love Philtre only worked with Michael.

I put on my poncho and cloak and grabbed my basket in a hurry. Even at three in the morning, some old bones wake up to drink a cup of hot milk or tea. I have to be quick.

When I was about to lock my door, I forgot that I still hadn't bought a lock. Clicking my tongue, I didn't have the time to clean the mess I made in my room.

Contemplating about it, Madam Bertud and Dorothy wouldn't wake up in an hour or so, but the villagers might!

Deciding to go with my original plans, I tiptoed towards the door and took in the fresh night air once I was out.

I hid my face behind my cloak when some guards spotted me. But since they saw me leaving Madam Bertud's house, they dismissed their suspicion. It wasn't rare to see some villagers who were already up and moving at this time.

There was no hurry in my steps as to not draw attention. And when they saw me entering Michael's gate, they lost their interest. They probably thought that it was one of those girls again.

I giggled and placed the basket in front of his door.

"May you find this cookie delectable as well as the events that soon unfold ~," I chanted.

"Oh, ya~?"

I almost went out of my skin like a cat that was startled. I whipped around to find Michael in a refreshing long sleeve shirt and trousers behind a leather vest with a loose strip.

"I was out hunting in the woods for food but already found a maiden lurking in my door?" he said with a dimpled smile that would surely make every girl fall on their knees.

But all I could process were the dead rabbits in his hands. Hunting? Now? Of all days?

"What are you doing here so early in the morning . . ." Michael paused. Squinting his eyes, he pried for my face. "Aren't you . . . ? The girl from Old Bertud's house? If I'm not mistaken . . . your name is . . ."

I blinked. Could the womanizer really remember an ugly thorn's name?

Michael sweetly smiled and looked like a bulb popped over his head. "Pimple face! Now I remember. All the girls call you that."

". . ."

I was an idiot to have any expectations at all. But since my identity was out, there was no use denying it. I'd be gone anyway, and this wasn't my face, to begin with.

I bowed and said with a humble voice, "Good morning, sir. Dorothy asked me to deliver these cookies to you. I hope you don't mind my intrusion."

Michael tilted his head. "Dorothy?" he frowned.

I wanted to slap him. Maybe that would jog his memories. He had been living in this village all his life, but he still didn't know the name of his neighbors?

I also didn't know but still . . .

"You know . . . my sister who is living together with me in Madam Bertud's house."

"Oh." His face brightened. "Knife chin!"

"Knife . . . chin?"

"You know. Her chin is so pointy that you could stab someone with it."

I might have burst out laughing, but I was more curious about his naming sense than anything else. Rather, wasn't he rude for someone who was portrayed to be a gentleman? Even if it was true, you don't go about and naming someone based on their appearance.

. . . I was the same, but I don't go and say it out on other people's faces.

"Now that you've known. I won't take your time. Enjoy the rest of your day." I wasn't worried since this occurrence wasn't new to Michael. He received gifts every day, so there was nothing suspicious about my actions.

But his action was when he blocked the gate with his body. Now that I was starring face to face and only inches away from him, I was reminded of how tall he was. Even he was lean, his body was more than twice my size, and the scent of his sweat and the smell of the fresh forest that clung to his skin tickled my nose.

I looked over his face, and the smile on his lips vanished while cold blue dots replaced the kind eyes he always portrayed.

I couldn't pull away from his intense gaze while his finger so gently caressed my cheek.

"I always wondered if this is fake . . . ," he murmured, showing me the red smudged pimple on his thumb.

"I guess it is."

----

A/N

Hey dearest,

We'll start posting pictures on discord, so if you haven't joined yet, I urged you to do so. It's easier for communication and announcement, too ^^

Here's the link

https://discord.com/invite/uvyHgS5bsZ

Also, please vote for this story in W.E.B.N.O.V.E.L as this will help me and the novel a lot. 

So far, we are currently no. 26 in power rank in the contest. I hope we can enter the top 10 by the end of December, and I need everyone's help ^^

But of course, your PS will be rewarded, which also motivates me to write more chapters. It's a win-win situation XD

For every 100PS = 1 chapter ^^

200 PS = 2 chapters

300 PS = 3 chapters

And soon . . .

Resets every week.

Thank you for everyone's support *bows head

Stay safe and happy reading.

Love,

Miu