Chapter 17: Lyander

Lyander was standing on a large tree bark together with Colm as they waited for their prey to arrive. They finally tracked down those vile humans who kidnapped their pups and auctioned them for the nobles since werewolves' pups were still docile and easier to control than adults. They also hadn't manifested their wolf, so they lacked the strength and agility to defend themselves and run.

"Our contact in Hamill said that they should be passing in this forest before they make a transaction with the nobles in Hamill Town." A low rumble vibrated in Colm's chest, and his wolf's dilated poles peeked through his eyes. "I can't wait to tear them limb from limb."

Lyander didn't say anything. Since the Duke of Hamill was sick at the moment, the nobles took it as an opportunity to make illegal dealings behind his back.

But Lyander didn't care about the humans' business as long as they left them alone. But there were still humans who didn't learn their lesson.

What's the use of gil if you were dead? The werewolves will stop at nothing if you kidnap their own, especially their pups.

"I hope Timothy and the others are alright," muttered Colm. "We promised Terishia we'd bring her little brother back."

Colm briefly cut Lyander a look. "Speaking of which, the both of you haven't found your mate. And you're like, what now? Twenty-four?"

"Twenty." Lyander groaned. This again. It was always about him not finding his mate while the others in the pack pushed him to every single woman who was interested in him.

A werewolf usually found their mate in their teenage years, and only a few did in their twenties. While those who were twenty-four and above often ended up alone. Either their mate weren't werewolves, or their other half was already dead.

Terishia was a fierce female warrior in their pack and strikingly beautiful. But she was already twenty-four with no luck of finding her mate. The only reason why she wasn't with them was because he was against her from coming. She was too emotional, and that would lead to mistakes.

"I'm not the only one. You're the same age as me."

Colm pretended that he didn't hear Lyander and his lips puckered forward. Then his sight caught something.

"Hey . . . is that . . ." Colm pointed towards an area that was illuminated by a dim lamp. "That witch again?"

Even if Colm didn't point at Trinity's location, Lyander already smelled her scent before she even entered the forest.

"H-hey . . ." Colm tried to call in a hushed voice, but Lyander already leaped from tree to tree towards Trinity.

"Oh . . . for the love of . . ." Colm rolled his eyes in the moon before he followed his friend.

Hiding behind the bushes, Lyander peeked at Trinity. Her disguise was still on her face, but she couldn't mask her scent from him. His wolf released a low rumble of delight. She was not their mate, but he and his wolf were fond of her ever since young.

A deep scowl appeared on Lyander's forehead and his wolf's dilated eyes pushed through his. He understood that the best time to collect ingredients was when the two moons glowed their brightest, but she should really avoid going out alone in the night.

It wasn't safe.

Especially for a witch.

Despite his frustration, because he couldn't do anything but watch, a tickling sensation lighted his heart as he stared at her happy face when she gathered materials.

She was still the same. He thought. Even as a child, she loved to collect herbs and concoct all sorts of potions even though all of them ended in failure at his expense, if he might add.

He remembered having bunny ears or cattail for a day because of her mischievous spirit.

His wolf snickered, remembering those days. It was rare for him and his wolf to be this happy. His wolf was usually grumpy and on edge. Because he was strong, his compulsion to challenge the current Alpha was hard to ignore.

If Lyander was any weaker, his wolf might have already caused chaos in the pact. And because of his restrictions, his wolf was easily angered these days, and honestly, he didn't know how long he could hold him in, and the constant taunting of the current Alpha was not helping in his predicament.

But thanks to Trinity, his wolf found his calm again. There was something about her that put them both in peace, which put a smile on his face.

"Hee . . ."

Lyander ignored Colm. Colm couldn't see his lips behind his mask, but he bet that Colm knew he was smiling.

It was one of those rare occasions that he portrayed any emotion on his face, and it usually showed on his eyes.

"Now I only needed . . . a reptile skin and a leg from a six-legged salamander . . ."

Trinity mumbled to herself, but Lyander heard it loud and clear. He looked at his side and found a six-legged salamander pasted on the trunk of the tree he was at.

It raised its head to him and their eyes locked.

Lyander blinked.

The Salamander blinked.

Lyander swore he saw a trickle of sweat dropped on the side of its head. And before it bolted away from him, he snatched it with a hand and threw it next to Trinity before he hid from view.

Watching all this happen, Colm didn't know whether to laugh or cry. He was both thrilled and worried, for Lyander was finally interested in a girl. But that girl turned out to be a witch! The only thing stopping him from interfering was because he knew that the witch wasn't his mate. He could tolerate his friend's behavior as long as Lyander didn't cross a line that would get him in trouble.

Lyander already attracted too much attention in their pact because of his good looks and incredibly fast reflexes, and combat prowess. Some say that he should be the Alpha, which caused most males' eerie in their pact, especially their current Alpha.

Colm and Lyander were childhood friends. One day, the fourteen-year-old Lyander just popped in their pact. Ragged and beaten done in a shirt that hanged loosely on one side of his shoulder –– Colm instantly took a liking to him.

Lyander wasn't accepted at first, for he was an outsider, but because of the previous Alpha's protection, Ernst, he was left alone. And now that Lyander matured into a good-looking, werewolf killing machine, every female wanted him while the males, especially Reynar, the current Alpha, son of Ernst, hated his guts and couldn't wait to get rid of him.

Like now, instead of sending a group of five to hunt down the humans who kidnapped their pups, Reynar just sent Lyander to do the job. If Colm didn't insist on incoming, who knew what would happen.

Probably the human traffickers would die while Lyander gets off somewhere with that witch. Colm thought, and he was glad that he came.

If Lyander started getting horny, he'd pummel some sense into him even though his wolf wasn't a match to Lyander's in speed and strength.

----

A/N

I'm planning to have the FL and ML, and the primary side characters have their own 1st POV in the future. ^^