Chapter 45: The Payback Begins

"Your Grace." Reuben greeted him with a lopsided grin that did not mean anything good. His hand swiftly took his hat off his head and he placed it right in front of him.

"Lord Valentine." Edward reciprocated his smile to the best of his ability, however, could hardly lose any part of his scowl. 

"Oh, quit the titles, Your Grace. I am no Duke of Dales to be worthy of such honour." He said while his hands were busy pouring new drinks for the two of them. Edward tilted his glass to tell him to stop as he was in no mood for booze. He required his sanity more than anything. "However," Reuben continued in a sly tone, "if you are kind enough to bestow upon me the honour of letting me live as the Duke, even for a day... I too am a friend of yours I like to think. Oh, and I believe this hat belongs to you?" He added in a suggestive tone. 

"What are you attempting to suggest?" Edward asked however he seemed to very well know what he was trying to point his finger at.

"It must be fun to pretend to be the Duke to dear sweet Esther. Lawrence, my lad is surely living the life I dream of every night." Reuben's tone began turning darker as he let his words out. "If only I could stand next to her as her betrothed, even for a day." His eyes turned darker as he leaned to whisper in Edward's ears. "...or a night." 

Edward's fingers closed around the glass in his hand further while he felt his blood boil beneath his skin. Reuben knew what he was doing, Edward only hoped he was done with his bullshit for the day. There was only so much he could take in and not give back. 

He smiled a taut line in response. The other men in the hall were curiously watching the two of them exchanging whispers. Personal secrecy was never much appreciated in the royal court. 

"I wonder what Lord Benjamin must be up to now that he is left alone with dear Esther. She, after all, is one irresistible woman and Lawrence, well, is not the most faithful of a friend. You wouldn't know, of course." Reuben hit another nail in the coffin of Edward's patience. 

Edward heaved a heated breath while trying his best to not drop his taut smile for it would certainly make the assemblymen more curious to see the two closest friends greet each other with anything short of joyful smiles. Lately, absurd rumours had started travelling the land regarding blood-thirty fueds sparking between the two most celebrated friends of England, all for the love of a girl. 

Edward would kill to get his bare hands on the throat of the person who started such ridiculous gossip, however, that was not among his top concerns. He only wished to get done with the day and not see those babblemongers for another couple of months.

"I'd rather you keep your mouth shut and merely smile the day away like I am doing, Reuben. I know your cheap games, I would gladly pass." Edward whispered back keeping his voice as friendly as he could with all the rage bubbling at the brim of his throat. 

He pulled at his cravat in irritation. 

Reuben scoffed at his struggled calm. "You certainly are trying too hard for a fake fiancee, my friend. Do you reckon she will accept you if only you fulfil her friend's love? How childish." 

Edward's eyes snapped to his face, bewildered. 

Reuben's lips twitched at the corners into an evil grin. "Ha. You thought you were doing a fine job smuggling my sister's fiance out of London to get him back with his dream girl?" Reuben asked, enjoying Edward's displeasure way more than he should. "Love has got you mad my boy. But don't go all insane just now, there's more fun to come." 

"I wonder if it really is me who is gone all mad in love," Edward replied in a voice heavy with sarcasm and Reuben's eyes flickered at his comment as if he were about to cry. Quite an insane thought, Edward wondered. "You have done enough harm to Esther and her family, you can now leave her be in peace," he added calmly.