Chapter 15: A Visit To Framptons

The evening turned unexpectedly spicy and sour for the Duke and his friend at White's. The same evening was, however, very differently spent at the Sherborne house.

The grand dinner happened with just as much glory and joy as Miss Sherborne had demanded. With delicious delicacies and divine drinks, the arrival of Lord Sherborne was celebrated enthusiastically. Unlimited laughter and chattering adorned the meal as the Sherbornes conversed on various subjects, the range of which included the unannounced arrival of the Framptons in London.

The subject lead to another round of excited discussion. Lord Sherborne enquired Esther about the health and well-being of the Frampton sisters and their parents to which Esther happily replied however, Lady Sherborne treated the subject with distant silence until her husband suggested an idea so absurd that she had to break her silence to express her objections.

"That's wonderful!" Lord Sherborne rejoiced, "let us invite them to a meal tomorrow, why don't we?"

"No!" Lady Sherborne jumped in with no valid explanation or elaboration.

"Well, if that's too difficult then, we can make it the day after." Lord Sherborne suggested cluelessly.

"Stop being so clueless, my lord, they will never accept our invitation and you know this well." Esther stayed silent as her mother explained painfully with as less words as possible.

"We can just invite the girls like always," Lord Sherborne hopefully suggested, "the kids will surely come dancing the moment we send our-"

"They're not kids anymore, my lord." Lady Sherborne pointed out dropping her cutlery on the plate. "They will not come, there is no need to put in feeble attempts."

Silence loomed on the celebratory meal for a few long seconds.

"Well, she is your sister. The need is there, of course," Lord Sherborne said cutting out another slice of pie for himself. "It's absolutely alright if they can't come, that shouldn't stop us. Esther, my dear, I hope you have nothing on your schedule tomorrow. We're visiting the Framptons for an afternoon meal."

Lady Sherborne only looked at her husband with a concerned expression that screamed hopelessness. She was certain there was no use, for the Framptons, even after being the family of her biological sister, were far from family.

There was a wall between them that no one could break or cross, no matter what.

However, Esther had put all those thoughts at the back of her mind even after being aware of the situation. She was more than happy to attend a meal with her sisters after such a long time. Having no sister of her own apart from Florence, she always felt alone but the Frampton girls had always filled that gap for her as and when time and distance allowed.

Up until now.

She only wished nothing had changed but she herself knew at the bottom of her heart that things had. Juliette's eyes reflected the distance between them even when Esther peeked into them standing right against her that night at the masquerade ball.

They had grown up now and so had the difference between them. A difference that never existed when they were kids. Or perhaps it did, they were just too naive and innocent to see it.

After examining all her clothes to find the most normal inexpensive and plain day dress she decided on a beige coloured gown. It was light and carried a very insignificant amount of threadwork, the ribbon on the hip was the same colour but an even plainer fabric. It seemed perfect.

She was never a person who flaunted her richness, not by intention at least, but with Framptons, she couldn't help but be extra careful. The last thing she wanted was for them to feel uncomfortable due to the quality of her attires or accessories.