Chapter 32: Late Night at the Library

As Edward opened his lips to speak his first word and Esther sighed to her left in response, he lost whatever courage he had mustered standing at the door of the library for the last many minutes.

He had no clue what he was to tell Esther after leaving her escortless at the last moment. Lawrence had sent her a messenger to inform her about the inconvenience however that was hardly sufficient to justify himself.

He did not even wish to justify his actions. He was ready to plead guilty and accept whatever punishment Miss Sherborne deemed right for his sins, however, he doubted she would want to have him standing in her face for long.

He was extremely breathless from all the horse riding and running and despite all his will, he couldn't keep his heartbeat calm, although he was never the one to be exhausted from such activities. He could box for half a day and not heave a breath. It was perhaps the cold night's air that made his heart misbehave, he told himself. However, it was difficult to convince himself of such lies, even more, when he couldn't think straight because his mind was busy appreciating the surreal beauty that stood in his front.

"You wore a red dress." He noted painfully and soon realised that was the last thing he was supposed to say in the given situation when Esther's face gave up the disappointment and began styling an intense frown instead.

Clearly, she was bewildered and disgusted.

"Is there anything you need?" She demanded with a stabbing look in her eyes.

"Uh-no, no. Yes. Actually, yes," Edward blabbered and walked ahead past her towards the bookshelves. "I need books." He added. "Reading."

He watched Esther's eyes narrow down to slits as she raked him head to toe, clearly judging his attire for anything but a reader's get-up.

"Alright." She noted tilting her chin upwards. "Please help yourself."

Edward nodded his head as he watched Esther go back to her books. He spent the next few minutes scrolling the shelves pretending to be looking for his book until he noticed Esther get up with a pile of books in her hands. She walked towards the selves opposite the ones he was browsing and meticulously placed all the books in their right places, she walked across the hall and he could feel her hesitate behind him before she stepped forward to place some books on the shelves he was browsing. Their closeness made him regret missing the dance more than ever, he could feel her shrink to avoid any contact and it contrastingly reminded him of the hopeful smile he had stole a glimpse of the other morning when he asked her to let him escort her to the ball and she agreed. He could feel her regret.

He watched her as she walked back to her seat faster than comfortable for her in her dress. Hastily, she picked up a pair of dark gloves and began putting them back on. Fortunately, it was not smooth at all. The haste was messing it up furthermore as she struggled to put all the right fingers in the right places. However, it was only a matter of a few more blinks and soon she would be gone.

Edward could not let her go without apologising. He wanted to make things right, that was the only way to leave the matters of the evening to the evening. However, judging by the speed of Esther's hands that seemed near impossible if he did not act soon.

Her right hand was already in the glove and the left was only sliding its way in when he appeared in her front.

She looked up at him and his eyes caught the hurt in hers before she blinked it away faster than one would think possible. The eye contact stayed intact for a while until Esther broke it and resumed sliding her last fingers in the glove. Edward only watched her as she ignored his tall and broad existence and instead tried to streamline past him.