Chapter 26: Balls after Balls

Esther was almost certain her worst nightmare will come true and she will be standing alone in the shadows of the ballrooms for the rest of the season but fortunately, that was far from reality.

The first dance at the Actons' Ball was a pain indeed and just as she had expected, she spent it standing, if not too far away in the shadows then at the outskirts of the dance floor with an aged crowd of onlookers. However, it was soon noticed by the gentlemen in attendance that the one and only Miss Sherborne was 'Duke-less' that evening and even before the announcement of the next dance, Esther had all her dances of the evening promised to one or the other handsome young man.

To great relief, her biggest problem was no more a bother as she soon realized that she was still as wanted as ever and she did not anymore need to cry in corners, as the other couples danced. However, contrary to her beliefs, she was still not happy to be dancing the nights away like that.

The usual wide grin that used to appear almost instantly on her face the moment the orchestra hit the note was there no more and keeping a happy and pleasant exterior was a struggle. Her head that only ever sang along the music was now finding it difficult to focus on the rhythm and she was missing steps more often than ever.

As she looked around at the giggling and laughing faces of other couples, she only felt more pressured and dancing for her was no more the peak of all joys.

The real Duke attended very few balls but The fake Duke attended almost all of them and Esther was not happy about it. Her eyes would often find him or perhaps it was his unique self, the taller than usual form, the sharper than usual features, the deeper than usual eyes and the stronger than usual vibe, that always stood out from the crowd. But however unique, it was not a pleasant view for her.

His arm was always hooked with Lady Valentine's and he danced with her every time he joined the dance floor, which he seldom did. He spent most evenings chatting with her and The Marquess, and the real Duke if he was present at all.

There was no contact between him and Esther, they were strangers.

The Marquess of Rosevale on the other hand was as friendly and approaching as ever, which was a problem as Esther had taken her father's warning to her heart and she did not want to be seen chatting and laughing with him by Lord Sherborne.

Although she did not completely kill the contact. They danced one dance together every ball they attended, that only if he asked Esther before all her dances of the evening were not promised already, which he most often did as if he was religiously devoted to it. He would book two dances some evenings but if he asked for a third she would lie that it is taken and instead hide in the shadows than having him dominate most of her dances.

But that was all they did. Dance. She kept her eyes on anything but him while they were together and she made sure every conversation he introduced met dead ends.

For any man as wise and experienced as him, her behaviour should have been hint enough to retreat but he perhaps was built different. After a few evenings, he understood how uninterested she was in his conversations hence to Esther's relief he did cut down on the talks but never did he fail to ask her for a dance at the right time.

The Frampton girls were leaving no opportunity to grab a conversation with the royal party. Every now and then the sisters would walk up to the fake Duke and his friends and bat their eyes in the most unnatural manner. It was a pain to watch them try so hard but there was less Esther could do.

The fake Duke and the Marquess were least interested in their chatters and giggles but Esther had definitely caught the real Duke talking gladly to Juliette more than once and she knew not how she should feel about it hence she decided to not concern herself with their matters.