Chapter 44: The New Lord of Radcliffe Estate

"Esther-" Juliette replied in between grunts. Her hand was rubbing her knees which she must have badly hurt when she fell off the fence. 

"Are you alright?" Esther walked up closer to her but she only backed away. 

"Oh, yes. Absolutely. I was-" 

"Why are you not at the party?" Juliette was fearing Esther would ask her questions she wouldn't be able to answer but fortunately, Esther's first question was much more favourable than the one she had expected.

"Oh. I- I lost my invitation." Juliette replied confidently but the stutter couldn't be avoided.

"Your invitation?" Esther repeated in confusion. 

They had all received invitations but she did not remember being asked for them when she arrived earlier that evening. 

"Yes. The guards won't let me in without seeing it." Juliette added with a chuckle. "I think I dropped it here somewhere. What are you doing here? Outside?" 

Esther parted her lips to answer but stopped midway as a better idea hit her. She couldn't give herself a better excuse to escape the night. "Here," she said, extending her invitation to Juliette, "use my invitation. I was leaving anyway." 

Juliette's eyes flickered at the offer. She seemed to be considering rejecting it but it was perhaps too tempting to say no. She pulled the invitation out of Esther's hand and offered her a smile she had not shown her in ages. 

"Thank you, sister." She said and Esther smiled back in all sincerity and gratefulness.

Esther left the party with a heavy heart as she missed the Duke by the smallest fraction of time. However, as she walked back home alone on that dark night, she had a smile lingering on her face.

Juliette addressed her as 'sister' that evening for the first time in a very long time. The word acted as a source of hope for her. The fact that she still held her as a sister in her heart hinted at a possibility that perhaps nothing had changed between them. Perhaps it was time for all things to go back to their rightful place.

The end of the season seemed to bring with it the end to all dreadful things including her decade-old betrothal and her awful masquerade.

The former was quite doubtful but she liked to live in optimism.

Of course, if the worst were to happen, she would have to live as the Duke's betrothed for another six months. The thought itself was dreadful and she only hoped to see the man just one more time in the next few days before it would all come to an end. The possibility also sparked a curious thought in her head.

From what they had agreed upon, they were to create a misunderstanding for the Duke which would allow the Sherbornes to very honourably break off the engagement from their side. If he were to not return this season, they might have to delay such a scandal to next year as well. If they did continue the betrothal to the coming season, Esther wondered who she would have standing next to her as the Duke. It wasn't clearly so simple for the real Duke to casually take his place back without having the entire ton raising fingers at him. They would need a most convincing explanation.

Perhaps it would be best if he could create a scandal while he is away and never return. That would very peacefully kill all trouble.

With the hopes of the best for herself, she decided to wait for things to unfold. It wasn't like she were to get forced to the aisle with him tomorrow, or the day after. She was at no disadvantage if the betrothal was to go on for another week or season.

Lady Sherborne being the curious mother she was, asked her if she yet had the chance to end the engagement with His Grace.

"I couldn't catch him alone all evening and then he vanished," Esther answered in a complaining tone.