Chapter 5: Ready

May's POV again..

It had been a day since we came home. Currently, we were laying lazily in bed. I couldn't stop thinking about a certain topic though.

"Phil, what happened two days ago?" I felt his body tense beside mine.

"We were at the garage, looking for Daisy. You disappeared into the office for a while. When you came out, you said we should leave. Said she wasn't there. Then, we went to the base. Simmons told me that one of us had been exposed to some sort of ghost virus. Said that it'll kill us. I found you in the training room. Looking through agents' cubbies."
He took a deep breath, "You fainted when we reached the lab. You were unconscious for hours before we," he looked at me, "killed you."

"And the baby."

"Mel, it was either save you or let both of you die."

I nodded, "We should get up. We have to go home."
I sat up and rubbed the sleep out of my eyes.

"No Tai-Chi?"

"No, I'm good."

I felt his nervousness around me, probably from our conversation a few minutes ago, so I reached over to his head and gently pulled him closer to me. I softly kissed him, sliding my tongue, asking for permission. He froze for a second but followed. We broke apart after a few second. I looked at his wide eyes.

"Oh, shut up. You were looking so nervous and tense around me. So I did what we both wanted."

"I,- you're not mad at me?"

"For what? The baby? Phil, sure, I'm devastated that we lost a child. Even more so because it was with you. But I'm not mad. Especially not at you. So, stop tensing around me." I softly smiled, "Plus, it's not going to change anything."

He nodded and gently kissed me, "Got it."

We freshened up and dressed into our clothes, nothing fancy.

"Sooo," Phil walked over to me, "How was dying?"

I raised an eyebrow, "What do you mean?"

"Did you see something?"

"Maybe." I stirred my tea.

He grabbed his coffee mug and poured coffee from the jug I had prepared for him.

"Tell me!"

"Can't make me." I smirked.

"Let's see about that." He walked towards me with his arms raised.

"Phil? Phil. Phil, no. Phil! Philip J. Coulson. No. No."
I walked backwards but ran into the kitchen counter.

He reached me and attacked me. I tried hard to not laugh. But miserably failed. MISERABLY. I reached out to hold his forearm. Finally getting a grip, I pushed with away with a laugh.

"I missed that."

"What? Tickling me?"

"No." He smiled, "Your laugh."

I smiled but looked away, sipping my tea, I looked back at him, "I saw you, Phil." I bit my lip.

"You,-" He froze.

"Don't let it get to your head."

"Right."

"But, why?"

I sighed, "Well..."

I woke up with a start, not knowing what actually woke me up. I looked at my surroundings, they were empty. Empty except a human figure standing  in the background.

I pulled myself up with a groan and called out to the figure standing in-front of me, "Hello?"

"Hello, Mel?"

"Phil?"

He turned around, "Wake up, May. I need you."

I scrunched my eyebrows, "What,- What do you mean?"

"You died, Melinda. Wake up. I need you. Fight it."

"Fight it. Fight it. Fight it, May. Damn it, Melinda, fight it." His voice raged inside my head and I felt the space around me turn. "Fight it!"

I looked at his gaping expression and rolled my eyes.

"We're running late, Phil."

"Right. Later, though."

I rolled my eyes at his comment.

We left the apartment and drove to the base in Lola. The drive was mostly silent, the forgotten music in the background. The closer we got, the closer we got to reality.

Feeling my tension, Phil reached over to hold my hand and our fingers intertwined. He rubbed the back of my hand as I softly smiled.

"We can stay one more day, if you want."

"Nah, it would just delay this."

He smiled, "Are you okay?"

"Hell, no." I scoffed, "I'm not okay. Neither are you. We have to get this over with."

"You know, she'll be devastated about her little sibling."

"I know." I looked out the window, "It's like the universe constantly wants to break what we have."

"Lina, the universe doesn't want anything that includes us, it's too big to worry about us."

"We're almost here." I looked outside into the morning sky.

"Yeah, you ready?" He landed the car into the hangar and we stepped out with hands held.

"Nope." I shook my head, "But that doesn't matter."

We walked into the door, scanning our IDs as we did. We were instantly greeted by an over enthusiastic Jemma Simmons.

"Welcome home! Ready to meet," She looked around, "Daisy?" She whispered.

"Not really."

She sympathetically smiled, "Well, she's in the QuinJet over there. We're keeping her away from the director."

I nodded as she left us alone.

"Let's go." I whispered.

"You sure?"

"Yeah. Are you?"

"Yes."

We walked over to the entrance of the jet, pausing right outside, I took a deep breath and felt Phil do the same. We knocked on the door and heard rustling on the other side. I knew my face wasn't stoic, or happy, it was more like the opposite. The door didn't open, so we opened it ourselves. We saw Daisy jump when she saw someone enter, probably not realizing that it's us. I looked back and took a few deep breaths. In and out. In and out. In and out.

"Guys?" I snapped my head back to Daisy, unknown that a stray tear had slid. She walked over to us and wrapped her arms around Phil's neck. She pulled away and then wrapped her arms around my stiff body. I hesitated before placing my hand on her back. She pulled away, probably realizing the stiffness and the hesitancy I showed.

I looked away, "Excuse me."

———————————————————————————

"Is she okay?" Daisy asked me as Melinda left, I looked at her and simply shook my head.

"I should,-" I pointed to the door, she nodded.
———————————————————————————
I heard the QuinJet door open and shut, probably Phil. I wiped the stray tear and took a deep breath.
I looked at him and shook my head.

"Mind if I sit here?" He nodded to my side.

I shook my head and shifted closer to the inside.
I let my head fall on his shoulder.

"I thought it would be easier."

"Me too."