Chapter 4: Back home

We left Radcliffe's house to go home. Actually home. Not the base. Melinda was on strict bed rest for 2 days, so we decided to leave for her apartment instead of staying in the mansion with Radcliffe for those days.

I entered the password on the lock and held the door open for her.

"Home sweet home." I said as I closed the door behind us.

"I'm going to take a shower."

"Do you,- uh,- need any help?"

She smiled, "I'm good, thanks."

She left the living room to go to the bathroom. I sat on the couch and let out a sigh. I closed my eyes, just to ignore the broken feeling in my heart. I decided to cook something but we were out of everything.

"Hey, Mel?" She hummed, "I'm going to get some groceries. You good here?"

"Uh, yeah. I'm good. I'll call you if I need something."

"Okay."

I left a note in the fridge and walked out the large apartment. I was just going to go to the deli down the street instead of Walmart. I entered the store and nodded at Ben, the shopkeeper. Me and Melinda spent days at her apartment after missions. We bought groceries from Ben's Deli and breakfast from the cafe.

"How are you doing, Ben?" I asked.

"I'm good. How are you and Melinda?" He looked around, "She isn't here?"

"Uh, no. She's at home. And we're good. Just getting groceries for dinner."

"Ok, well, go ahead." I nodded and left.

I walked into the bread aisle and grabbed a pack of whole wheat bread and bagels. I got coffee, and a pack of tea for Melinda. I got Kale, Meat, Siracha Sauce, Pasta, Butter, and Chocolate for Melinda. I payed for it all and carried the bags till the apartment.

"I'm back!" I called out. Nobody answered.

"Melinda?" I called again. No reply. I was starting to panic when I heard a crunch in the kitchen. I walked into the kitchen and frowned at the sight. Melinda was sitting on the counter with a bag of chips and tears streaming down her face.

"I,-I could hear myself think. I needed to do something, but I,- I saw Layla's clothes in the closet and,- I broke down."

I walked over to the stool she was on and hugged her, "I'm here for you. Do you want to leave?"

"I don't know, maybe?"

"Ok, let's see. Where can we go?"

"Your apartment?"

I looked at her, my apartment? I hadn't been at my apartment since New York. I didn't think I still had it. "Didn't SHIELD sell it?"

She shook her head, "They were going to but I took over it." She looked around, "The keys should be in my dresser. Top Left Drawer. Inside a navy blue box."

"Oh, I didn't,- I didn't know."

She snorted, "You think I'd actually sell you Captain America Memorabilia?"

I smiled, "Honestly? Yes. I definitely thought that."

"Actually, you know what? I'm fine here."

"You sure?"

"Yeah, I mean, we'll find Daisy right?"

"Yeah."

"Well, I'm going to cook dinner. You want to watch something while I cook? Or can you cut the vegetables?"