Chapter 1

"Mom, of course I'm happy." Sophie rested her head on the arm of the Sofa, as she listened to Edaline's concerns about her mental health.

"Sophie, sweetie, you don't seem happy. This whole matchmaking thing caused you to not only become a Councillor, but isolate yourself from your friends, and me and Grady fear you're going to shut us out next. Sophie honey, you can't keep keeping us away; as your parents we're here for you, and your friends are too."

Sophie rolled her eyes, "I told you, it's just painful talking to them, knowing they're so happy being married. I can never have that and it hurts."

Edaline sat down warily beside her, "Sophie..."

Sophie stood up, "It's not the same. Fitz cut the group off completely, so we've lost him, Biana and Tam have twin girls to look after, Dex is married, Linh and Marella only have eyes for eachother, and Keefe..."

Sophie gulped, unable to bring herself to talk about him, knowing that she would never see one of the people who had meant the most to her again.

Edaline took her hand, "Keefe is alright, Sophie. He'll probably be living in some far away corner of the lost cities, quite happy, maybe even married or with a life or family or..."

Sophie zoned out after that last part. She couldn't bear the thought of him with someone else and she didn't know why. She should be happy for him, but she wasn't.

______________________________________

Time skip to that night:

Now that she was a Councillor, Sophie had her very own castle. 2 year old her would have been overjoyed, except for one thing: This Princess would never get her Prince.

Rain was currently hammering down on Eternalia, and as Sophie looked around the miserable scene, she couldn't help but wishing she was still 15, living in Havenfield, sun shining outside where Grady would be tackling Verdi to get him to feed and Edaline laughing at him as he failed and fell.

Now all that was around was rain, and the other Councillors' identical castles.

Even when she looked inside, it felt cold and drafty, and nothing was familiar or comforting.

A knock at her door brought her out of her thoughts with a jolt. She lolled over half-heartedly, wishing she wasn't wearing a woolly fleece and patched pyjama bottoms, before opening the door.

Her heart skipped a beat.

Or two beats.

"Keefe?"