Ch. 24 An Ugly Mob

Zeus, Serena, Brock, and I checked the guards to make sure they were secure. Their leader, the guard who had carried Calem and Serena into the jungle, tried to negotiate with us.

  "Come on, mates. We can work somethin' out."

  "We've seen how you work things out," I said.

  "I can get you money."

   Zeus crouched down next to him, "How? By selling one of us? Do you think we're stupid?"

   The man said nothing.

   Zeus's eyes narrowed. "I remember you. You were at the academy."

  "I was at the gate," he said. "I used to protect you. All of you."

   Zeus grinned. "You protected me?" He laughed. "Delusions of grandeur."

   The man turned away from him.

  "Look at me!" Zeus grabbed him by the hair and pulled his head back. "Your friend killed one of our friends."

  "He was acting on his own."

  "He wouldn't have been here if it wasn't for you." Zeus held his hands up and electricity sparked between his fingers. "The only reason I don't electrocute you right now is because Ash asked me not to. But give me a reason to change my mind."

   The man went silent.

  "Where's your money?" I asked.

  "It's in his back pocket," Brock said.

   Zeus rolled him over and took out his wallet. "Here," he said, tossing it to Brock.

  "How much is there?" I asked.

   Brock rifled through the bills. "About a thousand in Peruvian."

   I crouched down next to the man. "Does this road go all the way to Cuzco?"

   He didn't answer me.

  "There's an anthill over by that tree," Brock said. "Let's drag him over there."

  "The road goes to Paucartambo," he said.

  "What's that?"

  "It's a small village."

  "Does the army know about this road?"

  "They wouldn't be much of an army if they didn't."

  "But you felt safe enough to hide here."

  "They weren't expecting us." He turned his head to look at me. "You don't really think you can escape, do you? They've plastered your pictures on newspapers and handbills everywhere. The whole country is looking for you."

  "Well, we'll just have to do our best to not let they find us," I said. "Come on, guys."

  "Wait. You're not just going to leave me here like this."

  "No," I said. "Brock, add another pair of handcuffs. And if he gives you any trouble"--I looked at the guard--"leave him on the anthill."

   *     *     *

   We checked the other three guards for money, then added handcuffs as well. We ended up with more than two thousand seven hundred soles, which Clemont said was more than a thousand dollars. A half hour later I approached Calem, who was sitting on the ground next to Drew's grave.

  "We're ready."

   He stood. He was no longer crying. His emotions his had turned. His face his was steely with anger.