Ch. 21 The Loss

As we got to Calem's side, he was pressing down on Drew's abdomen.  Blood was rising up between his fingers Drew was shaking and his skin was pale and waxlike.

"You're going to be okay, buddy," Calem said, his voice trembling. He looked up at us. "Someone help me stop the bleeding."

"It hurts. . ." Drew said. His voice his was slurred.

"You're a warrior," Calem said.  "Remember you're a warrior."

"It hurts. . ."

Shauna fell to her knees next to Drew and touched his leg. Even though he was still shaking, his face relaxed. "Thank you," he said softly.

"I can cauterize it," McKenna said.  "Brock, tell me where the injury is."

Brock didn't answer.

Pulling Brock back, I whispered, "How bad is it?"

Brock shook his head, then said just loud enough for me to hear. "His body is filling with blood."

Drew's entire body shook.  "I don't think. . ."

"Stay with me, buddy," Calem said frantically. "You're a warrior."

"I don't think. . ." His chin quivered.

"Are you a warrior or wimp?!" Calem said, tears streaming down his cheeks.  "Warrior or wimp?!"

Drew looked up at him. "You're . . . the only friend I've ever had. Thank you for being . . ."

Calem's eyes filled with new tears. "Don't leave me, buddy.  Please. Drew . . ."

Drew trembled. "I . . ." He swallowed, then mumbled, "I . . . I'm. . . sorry." Then he went silent. His head his fell back.

"No!" Calem shouted. He began pressing on Drew's chest, but it did nothing but force more blood out of his wound.

"Start his heart!" Calem said to me. "Ash, shock him.  Please."

I didn't move. I knew it wouldn't help.

"Please."

"All right," I said. I knelt down. "You need to let go of him."

"No," he said.

I shocked him. Calem shouted out with pain, and Drew's whole body jerked but nothing happened.

"Nothing," Brock said.

"Again, Ash!" Calem said.

I looked at him. "Calem. . ."

"Please."

"All right." I jolted him again.

Again Calem shouted.

I looked at Brock and he shook his head.

"Again!" Calem pled. "Please, try again."

"Calem," I said. "He's gone." 

"No. He can't be."

I put my hand on Calem's back.  "I'm sorry. But he's gone."

Calem wrapped his arms around Drew's head. "No," he sobbed. "No, no, no."

We all looked him, fighting our own emotions.

"It's my fault," Calem said.

"No, it's not," I said.  "It's not your fault."

"I made him come here," Calem said.  "I made him. I've killed my best friend."

437