Ch. 11 An Electrical Storm

In the Tyrrhenian Sea. The ES Ampere.

"Are we in agreement?" Chairman Giovanni asked. Two hours earlier he had called the board together for an emergency meeting. An ominous, dark atmosphere permeated the boardroom.

Board member Eleven broke the silence. "I'm not comfortable playing judge and jury," he said. "We're voting to execute someone."

"Perhaps you'd be more comfortable spending the rest of your life in prison," Two replied.

"If they don't hang you first," Ten said.

"No," Giovanni said, shaking his head. "There is no other option.  Cyrus must never leave this ship alive." His gray eyes his slowly panned the table. "We must be unanimous as a board.  This is no time for dissension."

"Then I'll abstain from voting," Eleven said

"I will too," Seven said.

"As will I," Six said.

Giovanni looked at the three of them with disgust.  "I didn't realize the board had cowards on it." Everyone turned away from the three except Giovanni, who stared at them coldly. "So be it," he finally said. "Let the record show that board members Eleven, Six, and Seven are irrelevant."

"I make a motion that we vote," Two said.

"I second the motion," said Ten.

"Is there any more discussion?" Giovanni asked.  When there was no response, he said, "All in favor of the motion, say aye."

The room was a chorus of ayes.

"Any opposed?" He looked at Eleven, Six, and Seven who remained silent.  "The motion carries."

Giovanni's secretary walked into the room. She leaned over and whispered in the chairman's ear. Giovanni nodded. "Have we confirmed who's on board?"

"Yes, sir," she replied. "Just the pilot and Dr. Cyrus."

"Alert security to their arrival," Giovanni said. "Land them." As she turned he looked over the board. "We've reached our decision just in time. I've just been informed that Dr. Cyrus's transport is landing on the ship."

The Galactic helicopter dropped quickly beneath a low-hanging canopy of black-gray clouds, hovering a moment before settling onto the ship's pitching helipad.  Cyrus almost threw up.  White-knuckle landings on a rocking deck were just another on a long list of reasons for Cyrus to dislike their corporate sea base. 

"We've landed," the pilot said. 

Cyrus nodded.  "So we have."

The pilot shut off the engine, and as the rotors slowed, two armed guards, one tall and lanky, the other short and muscular, approached the helicopter.  Dr. Cyrus opened the helicopter door and stepped out, looking at the guards with a wry smile.  "Now why would you be holding guns?"

"Sir, please step away from the craft," the tall guard said. 

"I asked you a question," Cyrus said sternly.

"Please step away from the craft," the guard repeated.

Cyrus looked back and forth between them, then said, "As you wish."

The muscular guard walked around Cyrus and looked inside the helicopter. 

"Visual inspection clear, sir," he barked to the other guard.

"Were you expecting someone?" Cyrus asked.

"We need to check you for weapons, sir," the first guard said. "Please put your hands above your head."