Ch. 12 The Takeover

"Get up," Brendan shouted at the guards, "before Alain explodes your brains! Then strip to your underwear and get into the cell."

   The second guard stood. With blistered hands he quickly tore off his clothes. "Whatever you say, sir."

   The first guard pulled off his boots, then just lay there. He looked like he was in shock.

   Brendan looked down at him. "You have a problem with my order?"

  "No, sir. I can't . . ." He grimaced. "My feet . . ."

   Brendan looked at the man's feet. They were bright crimson and severely blistered. "Then crawl in," Alain said. "Or should I just melt you here?"

  "No. sir," the guard said. He hurriedly pulled down his slacks, screaming as they brushed against his feet. Then he crawled into the cell, whimpering.

  "Both of you on your knees with your hands on the back wall," Cyrus said. "And don't waste my time."

   When both guards were against the wall, Cyrus shut the cell door behind them.

  "Just a few minutes ago you both were laughing," Cyrus said. "What happened? Did you lose your sense of humor?"

   Neither guard answered.

  "I asked you a question."

  "No, sir!" They shouted in unison.

   Cyrus turned to the second guard. "What did you call me? A nutjob?"

  "I'm sorry sir," the second guard said.

   Cyrus turned from the cell. "Not as sorry as you will be. Come on," he said to his youths. "Let's go pay a visit to the board."

   The four of them walked down the hallway, back toward the elevator.

   Cyrus picked up the guard's pistol, put it in his right pocket, then pulled the satellite phone from his left pocket.

   He pushed a button and just seconds later a voice answered. "Engage," Cyrus said, then he stowed the phone back in his pocket. He turned to Brendan. "Where are Kiawe and Selene?"

  "They're covering the main floor," Brendan said. "I'll let them know we're on our way."

  "No, have them meet us here," Cyrus said.

  "Yes, sir," Brendan said. He pulled out his cell phone and dialed a number. "Selene, it's B. Come down to the first floor. Use the forward elevator." He returned his phone to his pocket and turned back to Cyrus. "They'll be right here."

   Less than a minute later the elevator stopped on the floor. Selene and Kiawe stepped out.

  "What's going on up there?" Cyrus asked.

  "Everything's calm. I think the board members are still meeting."

  "Does anyone know you're on board?"

  "Two window washers spotted us," Selene said.

  "And?" Cyrus asked.

  "They jumped overboard." Kiawe laughed. "Selene made them think the boat was filled with cobras." He turned to Brendan. "One of them did the most awesome belly flop. It was epic."

   Cyrus didn't look amused. "Did anyone see them go over?"

  "We don't think so," Selene said. "We didn't see anyone else. And we could barely hear them screaming."

  "All right, listen up. The three board members loyal to me are under house arrest on the second floor. We're going to free them, then the board a visit. There are currently fourteen guards on board. Four of them--Woodbury, Spafford, Harlan, and Mull--are loyal to me and are awaiting my orders. We've locked two in the brig, and the other eight will need to be neutralized. A helicopter with twenty of our best soldiers is on its way from the Faraday. It will touch down in exactly twenty-eight minutes. Brendan, I need you and Selene to make sure they encounter no resistance on landing, understood?"

  "Yes, sir," Brendan said.

   Selene nodded. "Yes, sir."

  "May, Kiawe, and Alain are with me. We'll take out the three guards on the suite level, then meet up with our four guards on deck." He turned to Selene. "Did you see any guards on the bridge?"

  "Two."

   Cyrus looked Selene in the eyes. "Dispose of them."

  "Yes, sir."

  "Brendan, take out all communications. I don't want an SOS going out to any other ships in the fleet. Not all of them are loyal to me yet."

  "Yes, sir. I'll take out the bridge before we get there."

  "Don't take out any of the controls or radar. We still need to float this tub."

  "Yes, sir"

  "Also, take out the video console." I don't want them seeing us on the second floor. I'll give you five minutes. Call me after it's down."

  "Yes, sir."

  "Go."

   Selene and Brendan stepped into the elevator. It was less than five minutes later that Cyrus's phone rang.

  "We have the bridge, sir. The consoles are down."

  "Good. Stay there until I arrive." He turned back to Alain and Kiawe. "Let's end this"

779

Short chapter, but I'm having finals