2

Chapter 2- New beginnings
8/19/2018

"Amala wake up it's time for school" I heard my mother yell from downstairs.

I got up and stretched and got ready for the day. When I finished I walked downstairs to be greeted by my ma. She was smoking a cigarette while looking outside.

"You know that's not good for you" I said. She turned around and rolled her eyes.

"And this ass whooping you gonna get is not good either, but here we are" She said with sarcasm. I kissed my teeth.

"You know I'm just messing with you ma" I said while chuckling.

I looked out the window and seen it was cloudy and it was about to rain, weird because it's the middle of August.

"Mama, can I stay home today" I asked.

"Girl no, school just begun and you already want to skip" She said while walking away.

I seen the bus pull up and said goodbye to mama.

As I walked into the bus I sat right next to my best friend Tamia. She was giggling and texting somebody.

"Who you texting" I asked her.

"Do you remember that boy named Stokeley, well we've been texting a lot lately" She said. I raised an eyebrow.

"No I don't remember anything about a 'Stokeley', I just remember Tyler" I told her.

"We don't talk about him no mo, anyways I heard that Stokeley and his friend goes to our school"

"What that gotta do with me" I asked.

"Maybe you and his friend can talk or some shit" Tamia tried to persuade me.

"You know I don't do relationships anymore" I said getting frustrated.

"Just because something didn't work out the first time doesn't me you shouldn't give it a second try" She said. I plugged my ear phones in and tried to ignore her.

Tamia tried to get my attention then gave up.
The bus stopped right in front of the school and all the kids rushed out.

"I'll see you later" I told Tamia. She smiled and waved goodbye.

I walked to my first class which was Science. I sat in the back of the class room so the teacher would forget I was even here.

*Ringgg*

Students rushed in and sat in any seats that weren't occupied.

"Good morning class today is a special day. We are going to do a project over what you have learned last year" The teacher said. Some of the students let out groans.

"It's either this or a test" The teacher said sternly. No one said anything.

"That's what I thought, you all would be in groups of two. Find your partner and get started"

Everyone except me got up and rushed to their friends. Everyone was in a group except me and a boy.

"Amala I guess you're now partners with Jahseh" She said. The boy and I made eye contact and I walked over to him. I sat down at a desk that was next to him.

"Hey, my name is Amala" I said. He didn't answer me.

He pulled out his phone and started typing. He then raised his hand.

"Can I use the restroom" He asked. The teacher nodded her head and Jahseh left.

I looked at the clock and seen we still had a hour left. After what felt about 30 minutes the boy never returned.

"Why aren't you working" My teacher asked.

"Maybe because my partner abandoned me" I said with a small smile. She looked next to me and looked shocked.

"Do you know where he went" She asked. I shook my head no.

"Can you go look for him please, thanks" She said and walked away.

I just packed my stuff and walked out the class room. Ain't no way I'm about to waste my time looking for a lost nigga. As I walked down the hallway I could've sworn I heard Tamia's laugh. I mean she is the only person I know who laughs like a demonic rat.

"Tamia is that you girl" I asked. I heard footsteps and sure enough it was my best friend.

"Why you not in class" She asked me.

"Why aren't YOU in class" I retorted. I then heard a few more voices and two boys walked towards us.

"Who is this Tamia" The boy asked.

"This is my best friend Amala, I told you about her" She said.

"You told them about me" I asked.

"Yeah why not" I just rolled my eyes.

"Y'all trynna skip" He asked. I looked at the boy with a du-rag like he was crazy.

"School just started and y'all already trynna skip" I said remembering exactly what my ma said earlier.

"Come on girl it'll be fun" She said.

"Nothing bad will happen, since you friends with Tamia imma make sure you good" Stokeley I think said.

"Nah let the hoe stay here if she scared" Jahseh said.

"Don't mind him, he's just trying to act tough" Stokeley said.

"Please say you will come with us" Tamia pleaded.

"Fine" I said.

I don't know what I just got myself into.

~~~

It's short idc tho. Hope you enjoy loves🥲