0 [Prologue] - Bedside

Boom! Followed by the sound of rain pattering the roof. I jolted as the sound of the thunder outside awoken me from bed. 

My heart sank in relief as the thunder rumbled on in the distance, quieter this time. It's been a long time since I've been woken in the middle of my sleep. Slowly, I patted around me to find that the cold, silky textures of my bedsheets remained familiar. My nerves relaxed after realizing I was still safe in bed. 

What time is it? A question that cannot be answered unless someone else is around to tell. 

"Yu..bin?" A voice cracked gently from my bedside at the sound of my movement. A familiar voice.

"Ah...sorry..." I was surprised that he stayed until now. Shouldn't he have left at this hour? I slowly moved my hand to the left to check where he was.

BOOM!

Before I could feel where he was on my bedside, thunder, even louder than the first time, reverberated right above the roof. Out of reflex, I shuddered and fervently searched for his arm, grasping tightly onto the corner of his sleeve once I came in contact with it. My hands and feet grew colder as chills ran down my spine from being overwhelmed by the deafening boom. 

"...ah!" I let go instantly, realizing that I was pulling his sweatshirt out of shape.

To my surprise, instead of pulling away out of discomfort, he reached over to pull my hand back, holding my hand in his. My cold, clutching fingers were immediately enveloped by a tender warmth.

"I'm here." In the familiar, soft tone that he had always spoken to me in, he repeated words that were unfamiliar to my ears, but the meaning of those words...I seemed to have known since the first time I met him. "I'm here."

Upon these words, my stomach turned with feelings that I never experienced before. I didn't know what to respond with, yet my hand, much smaller compared to his, slowly relaxed in the secure grip that his hand had on mine. 

"Seems like I have to be here everyday now," he murmured as I dozed off in the warmth that he provided. A warmth reminiscent of a ray of balmy mid-may sunshine.

Back then, if only I had the ability to see the tender gaze in his clear eyes and the adoring smile that he could not hide...I would have known. I would have known that his feelings were as real as my beating heart.

Those hands that accompanied me in a lonely adolescence...I would have held onto them and not let go.