NINE

"have you got the dish, papa?" thea asked her father as she grabbed her bag and coat to leave the house.

"ja, it's already in the car, schatz!" he reassured her as they exited their home, locking the door behind them.

they were currently going to thea's aunt's house (her mum's sister) for dinner where they would also be seeing the rest of her mum's family. they lived in a different part of aachen near the outskirts so the drive took around half an hour.

everyone going had been assigned with a dish to make and thea opted for one of the mains; she had made her mum's special recipe of veggie lasagne as she knew everybody would like it.

secretly, she preferred cooking to baking but she had never admitted it out loud considering she literally ran a bakery.

"you excited to see everyone?" the old man asked his daughter, as he reversed out of the driveway.

thea nodded, smiling. "ja, its been a while since we have seen all of them."

it was true that they never got to see family often. with her dad's family living in stuggart she rarely saw them unless it was special occasions. and even with her mum's family living closer it was still difficult to get away from the bakery considering that they owned and ran it.

"i forget to mention something," her dad spoke, as they got onto the main road, "do you remember mr. hartmann?"

"ja, of course! he used to babysit me all the time when you or mama were working," thea answered in a self-explanatory tone.

"well, he's turning 80 this year and-"

"jesus christsus! i didn't realise he was that old," the girl murmured, her eyebrows raised slightly.

"ay, i'll almost be that old soon," her dad cracked a joke, nudging her arm, "anyways, he's having a small party to celebrate - or rather a gathering - of some people in the neighbourhood. no more than 50 people i would say. it's next week in this studio he rented out."

'ooh that sounds exciting," thea mused. the idea of seeing mr. hartmann again excited her as she could barely remove the last time she saw him.

"we have to find a present but i have no idea what he would like. do you have any idea, schatz?"

thea shrugged, "i have no clue. aren't you the one close to his age, papa?" she giggled slightly as her father rolled his eyes over dramatically. at least she knew where she got her sass and humour from.

people always told her that she got her mum's appearance but her father's personality. she was tall, slim, a dark brunette and had a sprinkle of freckles that mainly showed in the summer - like her mother. and she was stubborn, dramatic, cheeky and sarcastic - just like her father.

since her mum died her personality did change a lot - at least to everybody around her it did. she became more introverted and more unwilling to meet new people and make new friends.

heidi and her father were the first two to notice. for a while after her mum's death she had a grief therapist but it had to be stopped when they couldn't afford it anymore. to be honest, she wasn't that upset because the therapist was trash anyway.

"do we have any photos with him?"

"nein," thea shook her head.

"hmm," her father thought, "we'll think of something but we will have to get it soon!"

the brunette girl nodded, "i'll have a look in mrs. creak's boutique the next time im working as its next door. she might have something in there he would like."

"good idea, schatz. good idea."

JUNO'S NOTES
sorry that this chap
is short :( but it is
quite vital to the
story heheh

also random question:
what do you guys think
aliyah and amelie are
going to be like? and
when do you think they
are gonna come into
the fic? as they're the
only 2 characters who
haven't been introduced
yet?! <33