Fortunate Intentions With Bad Fortune- Chapter 11

The pitter patter of my shoes on the ground was the only sound heard on the Chicago street at 8:00am, and I was jolly nervous. Being worn wasn't my usual attire, but rather my usual attire slightly jazzed up - so that the button up was actually buttoned up, and I wore jeans instead of khaki shorts, in an attempt to look cleaner. My hair was done up in a messy, tousled, bedhead sort of way, but had been styled that way specifically, so that while it looked a mess it was ACTUALLY highly precise. I don't know if I've paid this much attention to my appearance before.

No one would believe how empty the train stations were, as though by a coincidence. I had woken at 5:00am just to take the train into the city to get to this house. I would've gone yesterday, but well, it felt like the cut was too new to touch. It would just sting. Besides, it would have been late, and there were only so many commuting trains that passed by the small station in Palos Hills.  

So there I was, in the middle of the city on a Saturday morning on a somewhat quiet street -- except for the occasional taxi. Cabs were yellow here, and I would never get used to it. I sported the best casual clothes I had. In my hand were flowers - red and orange, because I knew that fiery colors were his favorite - an assortment of different varieties of flowers because I didn't know what he would like. I never exactly planned on ever having to buy another guy flowers.

 You may be thinking what's my whole stand on this whole guy to guy thing. Gay or, if you want to label it. I surprised myself really! But I don't see the point of not trying, particularly with my policy of trying everything before you die. Besides, if friends were so easy to get along with, and significant others were always rumored to fight, why not combine the two and get the best of both worlds? Reference intended.

As for Dirk, you may not have seen him personally, but no one can say he is a 3rd place prize. He is 1st of his class. 

At this point the chances of being rejected were minimal, so then why was I so nervous? Why did I feel like turning around the moment I got to his building of residence? I opened a small gate which practically groaned with a large creeeeaaaaaak. After closing it behind me, flowers in hand, I went up the doorsteps. 

Do it. I pushed myself. You can do this. 

My finger pressed into the doorbell. 

No answer. 

I blinked multiple times over, and shuffled around on my feet before trying again. I could hear the sound of the doorbell echoing through the empty house. 

No answer. 

Third time lucky, why not? I rung the doorbell again. Hopefully, Dirk and his brother would have woken up by now. They probably slept in - I'm an early riser - and it was a Saturday.  

No answer. 

In my pocket, my phone began to ring to the tune of 'Killer Queen' by Queen. 

She's a Killer Queen, 

Gunpowder, Gelatine, 

Dynamite with a lazer beam

Guaranteed to blow your mind - 

"Hello?" I answered the call, not bothering to read who it was that was calling. Where was Dirk? Had they gone on a family outing - I found it unlikely. They weren't too close, putting it simply. 

"Hello, Jake?" A small voice said on the line of the phone, high pitched. 

"Jane? Hello, how're you?" 

"I'm okay, but Jake, did Dirk speak to you yesterday?" Bloody fucking hell - she knew? Who else knew?

"Yes," I choked slightly, adjusting my collar and turning away from the door. "Why?"

"I have bad news." My mind stopped.

"What?" There was quiet on the phone line. "Spit it out, Janey!" Thoughts crashed into my mind. "What happened to Dirk?" I ushered. 

"He's in the hospital."