Chapter Four:

Chapter Four:

“Hey, Dezzy,” Tara called out, running towards me in the hall. What fresh could this be? Tara only stirred up drama, so nothing she was about to say would be any good. “Do you know whose note this is?” I looked at the note, noticing the familiar lined paper and messy cursive.  I knew that note. The similar paper and writing held the details of my break up just months ago.

“No,” I lied. I wanted nothing to do with person who wrote that note. She was nothing, but trouble for me.

“It’s Bethany’s,” Tara told me, confirming my suspicions.

“And?” I asked, not entirely seeing where this was going.

“She was talking about you,” Tara said, acting like I was the dumb one.

“Okay, good for her,” I said, already frustrated with this conversation.

“I just thought you would like to know.” I almost said something really mean and bitchy, but I bit my tongue and walked away. Then Tara asked, “Do you hate Bethany?” I stopped in my tracks and turned slowly towards her.  Did I want Bethany to take a long walk off a short pier? Yes, I did, but did I hate her?

“No,” I said, finally.

“Well, she thinks you do,” Tara said, raising her eyebrows.

“She made her choice, I made mine,” I said, firmly and walked away.

                The rest of the day, I heard about Bethany’s stupid note. Apparently, she was passing a note, talking about how she still loved me, to her friends, and then she dropped it. So some guy who knew us, saw, read, and showed it to a whole bunch of people so now just about everybody knew about the gist of Bethany and I’s situation. And from what I heard, she isn’t a happy camper, not at all.

“Well that’s her own damn fault,” Bailey whispered, furiously in Chemistry after I filled her in on the details about what was going on. “If she didn’t want the shit out, she shouldn’t have been so careless. What if she did it on purpose? I swear I could choke a ho.” Bailey was really mad about this. I asked her why.

“Because I don’t understand why she would hurt people the way she does, especially you.” I blushed even though I shouldn’t have.

“Oh,” I said. She grabbed my knee and gave it a tight squeeze. I had to fight the jump that threatened my body as she touched me. I just smiled, trying to hide the effects of my pulsing heart.

                As I walked out of the school, I ran into Bethany. Oh sweet mother of pancakes, I thought.

“Can I speak to you?” Bethany asked, her dark eyes were averted downwards.

“Sure,” I said, my stomach twisting. Bethany led me to an empty spot near an oak tree. She stood there, silent as a mouse and cowering her shoulders like she was one too. Bethany was odd. When she didn’t realize I was around her, she was loud and rude and just plain annoying, but when she knew I was around she was just sad and depressed. I didn’t understand why. She broke my heart, not the other way around.

                I stood there, waiting for her to speak. She didn’t.

“Bethany,” I said, trying to sound encouraging and not annoyed. She looked up at me, opened her mouth, closed it, and looked away. I sighed. “What did you want to talk to me about?” She didn’t say anything. “Is this about the note?” Her head shot up.

“You heard about that?” Her eyes feigning surprise.

“I think everybody does,” I replied coolly. She let out a small laugh, but I think the un-amused look that fell upon my face silenced her.