Chapter Seven:

Beware there are so graphic themes in this chapter so do not read if you do not wish to view.

Chapter Seven:

“Today, we are getting the results of the bone marrow biopsy,” Bailey told me. I was sitting on a cold, uncomfortable hospital chair, holding onto her hand. We had been in here for close to an hour, sitting mainly in silence. Neither of us knew what to say, but it was a comfortable silence.

“What will that say?” I asked, not recognizing what she said.

“How sick I am,” Bailey said. I gave her hand a comforting squeeze. Well, it was more comfort for me than her. She smiled up at me. “What have I missed at school?” Sensing her need for a conversation change and my need too, I dove right in.

“Softball is going good. Coach E is being crazy like always,” I said, rolling my eyes. “Oh and remember that girl, Katie?”

“Peppermint Patty?” Bailey asked, smirking. I chuckled.

“Yeah,” I nodded and then told her the story about her walking me home.

“You sure know how to attract them, don’t ya?” Bailey teased.

“I do what I can,” I smiled. I missed her so much this past week, I thought to myself. “On Thursday, an Army recruiting guy came into our English class, who had recently gotten married and Tara was cheesin’ all over him.”

“Cheesin’?” Bailey asked, laughing. I nodded, laughing along with her. We were both in tears by the time we finished. Bailey’s laughing fit turned into a coughing fit. I helped her sit up and held onto her.

“I’m sorry,” I said as she finished. “I shouldn’t of made you laugh.”

“Why not?” she asked, confused.

“Because you’re sick. Laughing on a day that could possibly be the worst day of our lives isn’t right.”

“Dezzy, that is the worst excuse not to laugh in history. Anyways, no matter what results I get today, it will be the best day of my life,” Bailey said, annoyed.

“How do you figure?” I asked, skeptically.

“You told me that you loved me and that is all that matters.” She held onto my hand tighter. I blushed at her words. I leaned in and kissed her lightly on the lips. Then there was a knock on the door. We pulled apart.

                Fear filled the pit of my stomach. It was probably the doctor with results. I felt like I couldn’t breathe. What if he said Bailey was going…? I couldn’t go there, not even in my head. I looked at Bailey, regaining my composure. She nodded. I gave her a comforting smile before saying, “Come in.”

                A middle aged, white doctor came in. He had short neat, brown hair and friendly, hazel eyes. He wore nice pants, a blue striped button down shirt, and a lab coat. His appearance was trivial to me, but any distraction was good enough for me. Then my eyes narrowed in on his clip board that would dictate the rest of Bailey’s life.

“Hello, Bailey,” the doctor said, warmly. Then he turned to me. I studied his face to see what the news would be, but he held a clear, calm expression. “I’m Dr. Fields,” he extended his hand. I took it.

“I’m Dezzy.” I said, politely.

“Nice to meet you,” Dr. Fields said, smiling. I nodded, unable to think clearly enough to say something appropriate. He sat on the edge of the hospital bed, facing Bailey.

“I have the results of your bone marrow biopsy,” Dr. Fields said, flipping to a page on his clipboard. My stomach clenched.

“What’s the news?” Bailey said, trying to sound light, but I could tell how scared she was.