Chapter 22

Alex watched his family and fiancée with a great sense of contentment. Dinner was lively, as it always was when they gathered together, but it was the easy acceptance of his bride-to-be into the fray that eased some of the tension in his shoulders.

He never would have told Rebecca this, but he had been concerned some would think as Cat initially had and disapprove of her. He was beyond thrilled that everyone else seemed to welcome her with open arms.

"So, when's the wedding?" Ethan asked from his perch between Arianna and Lorenzo. "We may be shipping out soon." Ethan, a doctor in the Vallerian Royal Navy, was steadily working his way up the officer ranks.

"It's not for a year, at least," Arianna chimed in as she reached for her wineglass.

"Really? Did you set a date for them we are unaware of?" Lorenzo asked as he lifted another forkful of food.

"Don't be silly, Lorenzo," Sarah said. "Don't you remember your Vallerian history?"

"I was never very good at history," Lorenzo said with a grimace.

"You're not much good at anything," Nathaniel joked. Lorenzo, seated beside him, punched him in the arm. "Don't damage the goods, brother. I got a hot date this weekend," Nate said.

"You've always got a date," Ethan said as he stole food off Lorenzo's plate. Regardless of how much he loved the Navy, Ethan much preferred the food at the palace than the chow on his ship.

"As Sarah was saying," Arianna said. "If you bothered to study our history, you would know that Alex and Rebecca's marriage is bound by the Marriage of Royal Heirs Act of 1702."

"That's a real thing?" Lorenzo asked.

"It is, my son," Gabriel said with a small smile, thoroughly enjoying the interplay between his children. "The law requires consent for the marriage by the current ruling monarch for any heir aged twenty-five or under."

"That doesn't apply to Alex, Papa," Carolina said as she sat back in her chair and asked for some coffee. She had been working long hours on her latest painting and was simply too exhausted at the moment to really enjoy the meal.

"You are correct," Gabriel said. "In the case of Alexander and Rebecca, for their marriage, they only need to notify the Royal Council of their engagement, and they may wed no sooner than one year after that date of notification. This is called the 'Royal Marriage Notification Year', and aptly so."

"Since I do know my history," Alex said with a pointed look at Lorenzo. "I had already planned to call a special Council meeting tomorrow and announce it, and Papa will follow just after with a press release."

"A year will pass like nothing at all," Genevieve said. "A royal wedding, particularly the wedding of an heir, will take at least that long to plan."

"You hear that, Ethan?" Marcello interjected. "By the time we get to your wedding, you could probably just elope." Marcello had a great fondness for Ethan, as they all did.

"Bite your tongue, Marcello," Genevieve said sternly. "No child of mine is going to elope, and that's final."

"I second that, my dear," Gabriel said with a stern, and much more foreboding, look of his own.

"Besides," Ethan said. "Just because I was born last doesn't mean I have to wait for all of you to get married first, and the Notification Year only applies to Alex anyhow. I'm definitely beating Nate down the aisle."

"I have to agree with the kid," Nate said, calling Ethan by a pet name he clearly disliked, based on the scowl on his face. "I'm having too much fun to get married."

"Trust me," Alex said as he took Rebecca's hand. "You can have plenty of fun with just one person, if they're the right one."

"Alex!" Rebecca said as pink stained her cheeks again. God, how he loved to make her blush.

"Does that mean you're moving in together?" Sarah asked as the kitchen staff brought out a soft, fluffy cake for dessert. Alex was pleased to see Rebecca diving into it with gusto even though, as a touch of whipped cream coated her lips, his thoughts took a much more lascivious direction.

"Yes, we're moving in together," Alex said without breaking his gaze at Rebecca. "Or rather, she's moving into the palace with me."

Arianna frowned. "Do you think the public will have a problem with that?"

"I'll make sure they don't," Alex said simply, and no one could doubt his abilities.

"I'll happily assist," Gabriel said. "Valleria is a modern country, with modern rulers. There's enough of our old-world charm that will last the ages, I'm sure. However, I doubt the public will say two words against it when they see the ridiculous way the pair of you are looking at each other."

"My father just called the way we look at each other ridiculous," Alex said to Rebecca. "Should we be insulted?"

With a smile, Rebecca said, "Well, your parents still look at each other in the same ridiculous way, so I don't think he meant it as an insult."

'Oohs' and murmurs slid around the table. A moment later, Gabriel let out a long, full belly laugh and everyone joined in as well.

Alex simply slipped his hand around her and pulled her towards him, giving her a kiss on her cheek. "Well, now you've done it," he whispered. "My father's in love with you. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, I think my parents may like you better than me."

"Since I'm potentially their first source of grandchildren, it's not hard to see why."

Alex chuckled. "Want to start trying for kids in a few days after you've recovered? No sense in wasting time."

Rebecca pushed him away with more show than force. "Don't you dare talk like that. I won't be a pregnant princess waddling down the aisle, thank you very much."

"Technically, you won't be a princess until after you walk down the aisle, and," he said against her ear. "I bet you'll be a very sexy waddler."

"Oh, shut up," she said laughing. "Seriously, Alex. I want our children, but I can't think about that right now, not until after the wedding."

"No problem, darling. I do think we should at least practice until we get serious about the whole thing."

"Nothing wrong with that," she said then frowned. "Are you sure the public won't have a problem with us living together before marriage? I could just move in with my parents and we can abstain until our wedding day."

His eyes grew dark and his heart lurched at the thought of her asleep anywhere but in his arms. "If they try it, the country will learn the wrath of their future king."

Rebecca laughed again. "You mean the wrath of their sexually-frustrated future king."

After a moment, Alex sighed and brought her against him once more. "Stay with me," he said softly against her ear. "No matter what they say. I was serious when I said I didn't want to spend a night without you."

Rebecca smiled and leaned her head against his shoulder. "I know. We'll work it out."

"Yes, we will." He kissed her head and glanced around the table; no one had taken any heed of their conversation. He noticed Cat deep in discussion with his mother. He hoped they weren't wedding planning without Rebecca. He'd have to make sure they knew that Rebecca had the final say on everything.