Chapter 6

After a night spent tossing and turning, Rebecca stopped for a triple espresso at the corner café before heading into work. When she'd slept, she'd dreamt of Alex. That was nothing new. What was new, was that now her dreams took on a more vivid reality. Now that she'd felt his lips on her skin and his strong body against hers, all her dreams had left her warm and wanting.

Because she was sure her day would be terribly long, or terribly short if she were fired, she also treated herself to a fluffy, fruity pastry. She knew Alex would not make a promise he couldn't keep, so she'd likely keep her job, but until she heard one way or the other, officially, her heart would still be tense.

As she walked to her car after the quick breakfast, her practical black heels clicked softly along the sidewalk. She waved greetings to the neighbors she knew and watched as her silk shirt swished softly in the breeze. She'd dressed particularly carefully, wearing competent black pants and a sleeveless, white silk shirt. She had a jacket currently slung over her arm, black to match the competent pants, and she wore simple pearl jewelry. She'd wanted to project an air of authority and confidence, even if she didn't feel it. If, for some reason, Alex's magic didn't work, she would be prepared to at least look like she shouldn't lose her job.

Rebecca sighed as she slid into her car, and ran a quick hand through her hair. Time to get the day over with, one way or another.

* * *

Alex walked towards the Council chamber with some trepidation. He wasn't sure what to expect from the Royal Council, and his mind wasn't altogether prepared for what may come.

He'd spent the short, summer night dreaming of Rebecca beside him, against him, and underneath him. He'd often dreamed of her but now that he knew her taste, her smell, the feel of her, he could think of nothing else.

After Alex entered the room, he saw Council members scattered in clusters and speaking in low voices. Once the Sergeant at Arms announced his arrival, the murmured voices halted for a quick bow or curtsy. The room was organized in one large circle with his and his father's spots designated at the head of the room; his father's chair sat empty.

Marcello left a small group of men to meet Alex across the room. In a whispered voice, Marcello told Alex that the Council had heard of a security breach in the palace and wanted to discuss it first thing.

"How did they find out?" Alex asked, his face smooth but his voice tense.

"I have no idea, but you'd better believe I'll find out soon enough."

"Have we got a leak somewhere?"

"I'm not sure. If it is, I'll plug it."

"Do it, and fast. I don't need anything else leaking out right now."

"This could actually work in our favor."

"How do you figure?"

"Just follow my lead, and let Papa know to play along, too."

"I hope you know what you're doing."

"So do I."

A moment later the Sergeant at Arms announced that Gabriel had arrived. After the more formal pomp and circumstance that came with the King's arrival, Gabriel made his way into the room, shaking hands as he did. When he shook Alex's hand for form, Alex whispered Marcello's instructions to him. When Gabriel finally took his seat, so did everyone else.

"First order of business?" Gabriel asked swiftly as he settled in his chair.

"King Gabriel," Marcello started as he stood, addressing him formally, as they all did while speaking to their parents in their official roles. "A security issue has come to light, and we humbly request the approval of the Council, as well as the royal family, for additional security."