Chapter 14

Alex woke from the most peaceful sleep of his life. Though he'd only slept a few hours, and his muscles protested slightly from their delicious overuse last night, he'd never been happier.

It was all because of her.

They had shifted in the night, and he now spooned her from behind. His face was happily buried in her hair, where the scent of lavender swam around him and the faded scent of their lovemaking clung to their skin.

Her breathing was soft and even and, with a quick glance at a clock nearby, he noted with some dismay that he would have to leave soon for his own cold, unused room. He'd have to shuffle the sheets around to make it seem as though he'd slept there, and hoped the maid wouldn't think too much of Rebecca's well-used bed.

The niggle of doubt that he'd put away last night came crawling back, despite his attempts to beat it away. She hadn't said that she loved him, but he knew that she did care for him. She'd said as much last night and, besides, she never would have made love with him otherwise.

It wasn't much, but it was a start.

The more time they spent together, the more he fell in love with her and the more he understood her. She was reluctant, he realized, not necessarily because of him but because of her future role. As long as they kept working towards each other, he knew she would realize that she was more than capable enough to handle becoming a princess and, eventually, queen.

Warm and safe in bed, he reluctantly slid away and she sighed. He gently brushed back a strand of hair from her face and just watched her for a few long moments before heading to the bathroom.

He came out a few minutes later and, reluctant though he was to wake her, knew she needed a little extra time this morning.

"Rebecca?" He dropped soft kisses to her face, gently nudging her awake. "Darling?" He watched as she stretched, sleek as a cat, while still in that realm between dreams and awake, and the covers slid carelessly to her waist. Her eyes blinked open and she frowned.

"Good morning." He kissed her tenderly on the lips. Her eyes widened and he smiled as he pulled away; his need to spend the day ravishing her in bed was growing by the second.

"Morning," she whispered in a husky morning voice. "What time is it?"

Pleased that, at least for now, she didn't succumb to modesty—a sure sign of progress, in his opinion—he said, "Nearly time for me to leave." He caressed her cheek and her face turned into his touch. Her skin was so soft.

"I started a bath for you."

"You did?" Her hand moved to rest on his thigh, and her touch seemed to burn his skin. He lifted her hand and kissed her palm, then held it against his face. "You're probably sore this morning. The bath will help."

"I'd planned to have one myself this morning, so thank you for arranging it. Will you join me?" She guided his lips to hers for a long, deep kiss, and he felt the heat spread through his body. He shifted closer, deeper, hotter, until he pushed himself away.

"We shouldn't," he said lamely. When she moved to sit up and winced slightly, he said firmly, "We won't. I don't want to hurt you, Rebecca," he said, caressing her cheek again.

Her hand covered his. "You're probably right."

"I know I'm right."

She chuckled. "You shouldn't be so smug. I'm sure you'll be wrong about something today."

"Not about this." He rested his forehead against hers. Here, with her arms slipping around him, he felt as though he were in another world. The truth, however, was much harsher.