Chapter 9

When Rebecca woke, her entire body ached. It wasn't a pulled muscle or exhaustion; it was arousal, plain and simple. Her mind had been filled with capable hands delving deep underneath her skirt and full lips possessing hers. Her breasts felt tight and her panties were wet. She needed to work off this energy.

After pulling back the curtains in her bedroom and opening the window, she saw a gorgeous, late summer morning, with the air mildly humid and a cool breeze swirling; it was a perfect morning for running. After checking the clock, she saw she still had plenty of time before work, so she put on her running clothes and stretched before opening the front door.

As she stepped out, surprise then remembrance crossed her face when she saw the security agent outside, dressed in a dark suit and tie. He took in her well-worn shorts and slightly ratty tank top. "Morning, Miss Campo. Did you plan to go running this morning? You should have informed us last night."

"I'm sorry. I didn't think of it. I'm not used to having security around. Is it all right if I go?"

He took in her clothes again and Rebecca had the terrible sensation of feeling exposed. "Give us a minute," he said, then talked into a communicator on his watch while listening to the response in his ear.

A few minutes later, a woman came running up, dressed in workout gear. "Agent Kane will follow you on your run," the male agent said. "Be sure to inform us of your daily routine as soon as possible."

"Of course. I'll send you a schedule later today."

When he nodded, she headed down the stairs and through the back entrance of the complex. There was a jogging path through the park, about a mile around. She often used it when she had the time, or had excess energy to burn off, as she did today.

As she ran along, greeting those neighbors she knew and waving to the ones she didn't, she heard the agent's footfalls close behind. At least she was safe for now.

A shiver ran through her as she thought of the camera in her office. Who had done it? Why? What did they want with her and Alex? Alex said he would keep her informed about the investigation, and he was a man who kept his promises.

She wondered if she'd have a chance today to see him. She was falling for him, no denying it. Falling for his enigmatic eyes and thick, dark hair. Falling for his kind heart and protective nature. Falling for the future leader of Valleria.

His Royal Highness Prince Alexander Robert Louis Santoro di Valleria.

Prince Alexander.

Alex.

And he could be hers.

As Rebecca rounded past the entrance to do another lap of the track, she thought about the conversation they'd had last night. They knew each other better than before, but was it enough? She supposed she knew who he was: kind, strong, gentle, fair, and more. They were beginning to learn each other's bodies and sighs and, she had to admit, she was very much enjoying the physical side of their relationship.

However, did he really know her? She wasn't sure. Was she simply a dream to him? A fictional woman in a non-fictional body? Was she really the woman he wanted, or just the woman he thought she could be? And were those different things to begin with?

She didn't know if she could be queen—that was the crux of it. She needed advice, but didn't know who to ask. Catharine was out of the question, though she desperately wanted to know what she thought. Rebecca didn't have other close friends, or anyone who could really be trusted with something of this magnitude.

Of course, she could speak to her parents. Would it be fair to tell them? What if it didn't work out between her and Alex? Would they be disappointed?