Chapter 33

JESS' P.O.V

"You ready?" Zack asked, handing me my crutches. I was sat on the edge of the hospital trying to stand up. It had been two days since I woke up from the coma and I could go home although it wouldn't be with Alex.

"As ready as I'll ever be." I put the crutches firmly on the floor and pushed myself up, balancing on them. Zack reached out to steady me but I stopped him. "I want to do this on my own."

"Let's go then." Hayley opened the door for Zack and I and the three of us walked out of the hospital. I struggled getting in the car but I managed it. Zack obviously wanted to help but he knew how I didn't want to be dependant on anyone. The drive was uncomfortable, Zack trying to drive as slow as he could so the ride was as smooth as possilbe, but the roads were so uneven.

"There's a surprise waiting for you at home." Hayley smiled from next to me in the backseat. She had insisted on sitting next to me, although I had no idea why.

"What is it?" I asked.

"You do know the meaning of the word surprise, right?" Zack teased. I smirked and hit his arm as we rounded the corner for our street. He parked in the driveway and, ignoring my protests, helped me out of the car. We walked up the porch and Zack opened the door, turning the light on.

"Welcome home Jess!" I felt tears spring to my eyes as I saw everyone stood in our hallway. They had party hats, party poppers, banners - the works. As I looked around at them all though, I saw Alex was missing. My smile dropped a little but I quickly recover when Jordan ran out at me.

"Jordan!" I squeeled, wrapping him in a one-armed hug.

"Jess! Oh, fuck, it's amazing to see you again!" He wrapped his arms around me tightly, careful not to hurt my leg. "Jesus, we've missed you so much."

"God, it's fucking amazing to see you. All of you!" I laughed and smiled a lot in the next couple of hours, everyone telling me about what happened when I was in the hospital.

"Where's Amy?" I asked Jordan. We'd all moved to the living room and were sat around, talking about everything and nothing. Jordan, Mike, Rob and Cameron got into Baltimore yesterday night and slept at Jack and Tay's. The crew had decorated the house with banners and helped move all my stuff back over.

"We, uh, we broke up." Jordan said sadly.

"Why?" I asked. I liked Amy.

"She told the press about what happened." Zack said angrily. I nodded slightly, not really knowing how to react. So I didn't. I just changed the subject.

"Could Alex, uh... Could he not make it?" I asked quietly.

"He hasn't left his room since the other day." Jack sais softly, resting his hand on mine. "He hasn't spoke to anyone. All he does is sit in his room and write or draw."

"Oh." I mumbled.

"We can hear him crying too, when he thinks no ones around." I looked at the ground, not saying much at all for the rest of the night. Zack kept shooting me sympathetic looks but I shook them off. All I could think about was Alex.

* * * * *

"Bye! See you all tomorrow." I smiled, waving from the front door. I closed the door when the last person was out of sight and crutched back into the living room where Zack and Hayley were sat. She was sat on his lap, head tucked into the crook of his neck while Zack had his arms around her waist.

I sat down on the other couch, smiling sadly to myself. Even that sad smile dissapeared when I thought about Alex. How he hadn't left his room since I broke his heart.