Chapter 32

JESS' P.O.V

Ever since the pressure left my hand there had been other voices swirling around, voices I didn't recognize. I heard odd words, like 'fighter', and 'encouragement' but nothing that mad sense. I couldn't surpress the need to feel it again. I hadn't felt anything until that point.

Suddenly I felt pressure on the same hand, a light squeeze, then a voice, "Hey, Jess. The doctors said you're going to be okay, you just need to wake up. Please, we need you." There was silence, then the same voice spoke again. "We know you can do it. Just squeeze my hand. Wake up."

I tried harder than I ever have before and managed to make my hand move.

"She squeezed my hand. She did it." I felt another pressure, that time on my other hand. There was another squeeze from both, then a different voice. A voice I felt myself instantly drawn to.

"Now, mine, Jess." I tried, and tried, and eventually managed to squeeze their hands. There was more silence before the same voice spoke, "Did she squeeze your hand then?"

Alex

"Yes." The other voice squeeked. "Did she squeeze yours?" That voice was definitely a girl.

Tay.

A new voice spoke, one that I knew more than anyone else, "Time for the next step, Jess. Time to open your eyes. I know it might be hard, just try. For us. For me.

Zack

Alex, my boyfriend. Tay, my best friend. Zack, my brother. All urging me to come back from wherever I was. It felt like I was fighting a losing battle, but I had to fight on. I had to win. I fought to open my eyes, to escape from the nightmare I hadn't realised I was trapped in.

Everything went black and I thought I'd lost, but colours started to appear, a white cieling. Blurry faces. I pushed myself to open then more, to beat this nightmare. My eyes opened fully but I flinched at the brightness, trying to move my hands to cover my eyes.

"Turn the lights off." The man at the end of the bed ran to the side of the room and the lights went off, the only light coming through the window. He walked back and smiled. It was Zack. I tried to reach out, talk to him, but my voice only came out as a hoarse whisper.

"Don't speak." The girl said, rushing to the sink. She came back and held a cup of water in front of my face. Tay. I reached for the cup but she shook her head, no. "Head back." I did as she said and felt the cold water instantly soothe my burning throat. I smiled at them, tears escaping the corner of my eyes.

"Oh my god, Jess. You're awake!" Tay cried, throwing herself on me, hugging me. I gasped, a shooting pain in my chest. Tay pulled back with a look of guilt.

"It's okay." I managed to choke out. I looked at Zack at the end of the bed, seeing heartwarming smile and the love in his eyes made my heart burst.

"Hey, sis. Awesome to see you again."

"Zack." I smiled, tears escaping my eyes. "What happened?" Before Zack had a chance to answer Alex squeezed my hand and kissed my cheek.

"We'll explain later. First the doctors need to check on you, we'll all be back in a minute." He kissed my forehead, a tear rolling down his cheek, and the three of them left, only to be replaced by doctors. It was an agonizingly long wait for the doctors to finish all the tests, but they eventually did and Tay, Alex and Zack walked back in, followed by the rest of our friends. Rian, Jack, Cass, the crew. Even Hayley, Jeremy and Taylor were there.

As soon as they saw me, nearly everyone started crying. But not sad crying. They were smiling, laughing. I had noticed my leg was in a cast up to the top of my thigh and my body was bandaged up, but I had to idea what had happened to me otherwise. Everyone was in the middle of a conversation when I interrupted them.