Chapter Twenty

My heart caught in my throat as I surpressed a scream. Bodies were pulled out of beautiful mansions into ambulences below our cliff overlook. Adults. I breathed a small sigh of relief-- I was still deathly afraid it would mutate and murder me-- but my relief was short lived. My mother! It only took one look at Josh before he was tearing into the house, grabbing his keys.

The drive to my house was tense. I had long forgotten about our petty teenage fight, just as I had, years ago, forgotten all about teenage drama when my dad fell ill. My heart raced and I stared out the window, fiddling with the rose gold heart necklace my mom had given to me only a few weeks ago. Had it only been a few weeks ago? Suddenly the time before Josh felt like a million years ago.

Our drive was stopped short by more men in hazard suits who had barracaded our seaside drive with huge yellow blockades. Immediatly, my body felt cold-- I flashed back to the barracades I had seen a short while ago on my way to school, the day I was sent back home to find my panicked mother watching the news. Hastily, I dialed my mother, but she didn't pick up. Josh cussed, turning the car around.

When we returned to his mansion, I no longer wanted to explore its many rooms or even cuddle with Josh. I just wanted to be alone. Angrily, I ripped off my shoes and ran upstairs as soon as we entered, rushing into the bathroom while tearing off my clothes. I turned on the shower to burning hot and sat in the tub, sobbing. I may do a lot of things, but no matter what, I would not let Josh see me cry.

A little while later, I felt numb enough to turn off the water and leave the shower. Sadly, I put on a pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt, too depressed to even consider putting on anything cute. My mother was going to die-- I was almost sure of it.

When I came downstairs, I saw Josh sitting at the kitchen table, surrounded by a bunch of papers and speaking on the phone angrily.

"I don't give a shit. I'm paying you to make sure this woman specifically has hospital care. You wanna survive when the world goes to shit? You're going to need money for that," Josh paused, rubbing his temples "Good. Make sure it's done." Josh turned off the phone and slumped into the counter, but upon hearing my gentle foot steps, he spun around.

"Adira!" he said, rushing up to hug me. I held out a hand. Seeing Josh's dissappointment, I reached on my tip toes to plant a soft kiss on his lips.

"It's nothing personal. I'm just having a pretty rough time right now... a lot of things just changed for me and I need some space. What were you just doing?" I asked. My stomach turned when Josh avoided my eyes. I opened my mouth to chastise him, but he spoke before I could.

"I know a guy. He'll make sure your mom's okay," said Josh. My mouth fell open. What?

"What do you--"

"He's a nurse. I bribed him. There's an ambulence headed for your house in case your mother isn't okay," said Josh. I flinched at the word "okay" but nodded solemnly. Josh looked up at me with a little half smirk and I smirked back. My body was buzzing with emotions-- worry and fear, but also good feelings like joy and affection. It was a little too much to handle, so I couldn't do anything but smirk. Nonetheless, I turned on my heels, walking down the hall back to my bedroom; furthermore, when I turned around, Josh wasn't following, so I tried my best to give a "charming" smile despite my confused, sour mood.

"Don't just stand there," I said "Distract me."

A/N-- Super short update, I'm so sorry! It's hard for me to write this depressing stuff plus I'm having a pretty busy week. Don't worry, next chapter should be happier!

As an update on my film stuff you guys seem interested in-- I posted the first chapter of my film experience story along with (le gasp) a picture of myself on the cover. Just in case you guys wanted to see what my nerdy face looks like. Additionally, you can stream my film, River City Panic on Vimeo. It's a really good watch! Thanks guys I love you all!