Chapter Seven

Beep. Beep. Beeeeeeep.

With a tired sigh, I rose from my bed, flopping aside the snow white cover and grabbing my colorful owl mug off the side of my bed. Emptying the water into the sink in my bathroom, I paused to pet Lilac and turn on my record player (I love vintage stuff so much!) before heading downstairs to grab a coffee. Once I got downstairs, my mother rushed into the kitchen with a huge smile on her face.

"Adira, I have a present to congradulate you on the engagement!"

Oh, yeah about that. I didn't tell my mother about the disaster of getting Josh, and told her I got a pretty attractive guy who didn't seem too bad and will probably help out with the baby some. I didn't have the heart to tell her the truth.

"Mom, you didn't have to," I said, filling my owl mug with coffee. She came up and hugged me, ruffling my hair like I was a little kid again.

"Of course I did! And don't you worry about the money, it wasn't too much and my work got me a discount for it," she said, referring to the department store she worked at. I looked in her hands and saw she was holding out a little dark blue box for me. I picked it up and opened it.

"Mom!" I gasped, looking at the beautiful necklace inside. It was a petitie rose-gold colored heart.

"I just thought you could wear it and remember that no matter what happens, I will always love you," she said. My eyes welled up with tears and I smiled. My mother was always so thoughtful, even after everything we have been through. I pulled her into a tight hug before smiling, putting on the necklace, and heading upstairs to change.

Today I decided to go with something casual. I threw on a big sweater that said "Eat. Sleep. Repeat" in white against a black background, dark wash jeans, and heel boots with a tiny heel. After that I put my hair in a messy bun and put on some light make up, finishing the look with matte red lips. Soon enough I was ready to go-- grabbing a pair of sunglasses and a copy of Pride and Prejudice (still angry about losing my copy of Jane Eyre, might I add), I ran out the door after kissing my kitty good bye.

As soon as I walked on campus, I felt an difference in the air. People were laughing to each other, and I heard Josh's name floating around between the groups like a passed bottle of vodka. I smiled shyly as some people high fived me. Soon enough, I found myself at the willow, and cozied up against the tree, resting the book in my lap.

Several pages later and a bit of laughter from me (that book was just so funny, it was better than any joke anyone could tell me), the bell rang. Students scurried about, but I calmly followed the mob in, hitching up my black foral backpack and sighing in contentment, glad I hadn't been bothered that morning. I stopped at my locker to tuck my packed lunch in and ran into Cally.

"Oh, hey Cally," I said, placing my bento box on the top shelf of my locker. Cally looked perfect as always with her long black-brown hair, dark eyes, and big pouty lips. She was just so pretty, she could have been a model. On top of that her and her boyfriend were madly in love, having been dating a year now, and I was sitting here with a idiotic husband who not only rejected me but literally threw my book into the river. It just wasn't fair.

"Hey Adira. Sorry to hear about getting stuck with Josh," she said sadly. Cally had been gone from school for a few days trying to clear up and issue with keeping her little sister-- both her parents died in the plague and she was trying to run a household herself. I hadn't really talked to her much because her phone was down, and I was shocked she had already heard. Then again, Cally knew pretty much all the gossip.

"It's fine," I said with a shrug "At least I will have a cute baby you know? Speaking of which are you... um... pregnant yet?" At this Cally's eyes lit up and she smiled a big, red lipped smile showing off her pearly white teeth. She gave a squeal.

"I don't know, but I just bought the test this morning! Want to come to my place after school as I take the test? Oh please Cally, please!" she begged, pulling me into a big hug. I giggled and hugged her back.

"Of course! That's what best friends are for, right? Anyway, we better go to class. Unfortunatley, I've got Josh next hour," I said with a sigh. Cally sighed too.

"Bummer. Good luck!" she said. After we parted ways, I walked into class just as the bell rang. As unlucky as I am the teacher wasn't there yet, and everyone, including Josh, were looking at the sheets posted from yesterday and laughing.

"I didn't put any of that shit, she's lying man!" said Josh to a guy nearby. The guy laughed, hiking up his football jersey.

"Okay, sure dude, whatever you say," he said back. Josh gave an angry sound and yanked the paper off the wall, right at the teacher walked in. Even I couldn't help but giggle mercilessly. Josh whipped around and saw me sitting at our table, causing him to crumble the paper in his fist.

"YOU!" he yelled "What the hell do you think you're doing nerd?" At this Josh threw the paper to the floor, marching over to our table as the students around us laughed. I shrugged, opening my book.

"I'm just being a good little wife and helping out my husband with his grades. I mean, you obviously need it," I smirked. This made the students bust out into another chorus of laughs, causing Josh to shoot evil glares all over the room. Before he could say anything, the teacher grabbed his should and pushed him toward the seat.

"Please sit down Josh, class needs to begin," he said. Josh shot me one of the most evil looks of the century and sat down beside me. Soon enough the class was far more calm and our teacher began to speak, writing notes on the board on how to foster healthy relationships. I began to take the notes even though I knew Josh and I would never have a relationship, and soon enough a note was slid onto my notebook by Josh. I gave him a peeved look but read it anyway.

You and me. Immediatly after class. My car. Show up or I'm leaving town and you're getting arrested. XOXO Josh.