Chapter 42: Front row seats

----------------------------------------------------Annabeth's pov:------------------------------------------------------

Me and Tim had done what Percy had said and checked out the weird control panel. Turns out it was some sort of control device for those robots, kinda like a homing beacon. We shut it off and wouldn't you know it, robots stopped coming in through the sky light. 

We jumped down and helped in the fight. Percy was taking on some giant robot in the middle of this giant circle mosaic on the ground. I would've gone over to help her but she had a giant barrier up. I'm not sure why she had the barrier up and that's what first sparked a bad feeling in my stomach. I ignored it though and kept fighting.

How stupid I was. 

We had eventually taken down all the robots. I looked over to Percy and she was leaning over the shoulder of the giant robot. 

"Riptide! Let down the barrier and get over here!" I had yelled out. She ignored me and continued staring before clicking the shoulder and grabbing something. 

She started walking back towards me, a smile on her face. That was when I saw it. The Robot behind her self combusted, letting out a small explosion. The thing is, the mosaic underneath it must have been hollow because the circle below it started to crack and dissolve. Percy was about 10 feet away. 

10 feet away from being in my arms. 10 feet away from coming home safely.

10 feet. 

The floor cracked beneath her and the barrier in front of me fell to the ground, splashing and rolling over the edge. I watched as her eyes widened in surprise before shutting tightly, her hand making it's way up to grab something around her neck. Her other arm was used to throw something up at us. I didn't care what flew by me though. I took a step back ready to jump in after her when suddenly I felt someone stop me. I looked back to see a taller man with black hair. Super man.

"Let me go!" I turned back hurridly to see Percy but she had disappeared, the darkness below had consumed her body. 

"no..." I sunk to my knees, my eyes filling with tears, my throat closing in on itself. There's no way this could be happening, right?

The others behind me also ran over looking into the hole. Jason looked desperately, almost needing to see her again. I heard muted gasps behind me and others sobs but all I could do was try and comprehend what had just happened. 

Tim and Dick ran over too, they had been further. Together we all sat there looking for any trace of life, any noise, or sign that maybe, possibly, someone was alive down there. 

Nothing.

Not one noise.

Not one sound. Not one scream. Not one signal. No ocean smell. No black haired beauty besides me.

No Percy.

I couldn't be sure how long I sat there for. Letting the grief and horror of her final moments replay over and over in my mind. 

I hate the fates. I hate the Gods. I hate whoever did this. I hate it all. I hate the fact that she isn't here right now.

I felt a hand on my shoulder. I didn't look up. All I wanted was to see Percy again. Was that so much to ask for?

The hand let go and suddenly I felt arms wrap around me. This time I did look. Tim had wrapped his arms around me, his mask wasn't hiding anything as the tears just slipped beneath it. His sad sniffles filled the silence besides me. I limply leaned my head against him, the warmth from his hug was nice. I felt another pair of arms wrap around me again. I knew it was Damien due to how small the arms were. I put my arm around his shoulders and pulled him in. He was also crying though he hid it a lot better. Together we sat there just staring into the hole that had taken Percy. 

I looked over and saw Dick sitting with his arm rubbing Jason's back in a comforting manor as Jason just sat there with his knees to his chest, his face burried in them. Dick was also crying. 

I looked to my other side to see Bruce. At first glance he looked fine but upon closer inspection the man had tears running down his face. His lip quivering slightly. 

Together we sat there mourning the loss of a family member. My seaweed brain. Percy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

752 words

I won't lie to you. I cried making this :D Trust it's not the end though.