Sour Lemon

A/N:absolutely nothing major happens in this chapter lol well enjoy i guess...

“Mariah! Is Mark gone yet!? Come here I need to talk to you” My dad yelled and I took that as my cue to stop over-thinking.

I was walking over to my dad’s room, when I got in I saw him looking at a picture frame of Mom and him from when they went to Paris for their honeymoon. He looked nostalgic and I thought if he knew mom hasn’t been home lately or maybe she had because the supply of groceries are never-ending and I didn’t even go shopping once. So, she is probably coming home, but never to check on me only to make sure I don’t starve to death. Mom, I love you too.

                “Mariah please come sit by me?” Dad requested. I nodded my head and went to go sit beside him.

He wrapped his arm around my shoulder and I leaned in and hugged him to me tight. I didn’t realize how much I missed him until now. No matter how old I get I will never stop being my daddy’s little girl.

For what seemed like maybe five minutes my father and I were lost in thoughts, I was wondering about where my mother and brother have been lately and I don’t know what dad was thinking, but I am guessing probably the same thing as me.

Dad didn’t seem like he was in a talking mood, but I need answers, so, I have to be the one to break the silence for once.

                “Dad, where’s Mum and Jeremy?” I asked in a small voice.

Dad came out of his stupor and gazed at me, “That’s what I wanted to talk to you about,” he sighed. My heart was beating faster and I felt like I was going to be sick. I hope it’s not what I am thinking it is. Are my parents getting a divorce? Is that why Dad looks so lost and upset? No, this can’t be it; it has to be some sort of a joke or a misunderstanding.

                “Sweetheart, don’t look so upset it’s not what you think. Your mother and I are still together and it’s not going to change any time soon,” his words made a breath of relief leave my lips, it relaxed my stiff position.

                “So, then what is it? Why hasn’t she been here lately, and what about Jeremy? I haven’t seen him in a while.”

                “Well, you mother got really angry when I yelled at her for slapping you. She made a big issue out of it and tried to make me believe that you deserved it,” I was feeling like I was slapped again, but this time the pain stung my heart. How can my mother say that I deserved to get beaten up because I didn’t do a damn chore? I didn’t even do anything except had a civilized conversation with her about how I can’t be bothered to clean the damn house because I have homework to do. I thought education was more important, I guess not.

                “After that she decided to cool down at her mother’s house in Orlando, so, I agreed, but then Jeremy for some reason “talked back” to her about how she doesn’t treat you right and as a punishment she took him away from you. So, that you won’t be a bad influence on him anymore,” my mouth fell open at that and dad clarified that it was my mother’s exact words.

Like a soldier on a battle field I took the pain my mother’s words brought me like man and by just wrapping a banding around the wound I put up a strong front and kept fighting my tears.

                “That’s it then? She took my brother away from me because I didn’t want to do some chores and what about school? Is he not going to go to school now?”

                “She called the school and told them he has mono and don’t worry I talked to her, she will be back tomorrow with Jeremy.”